Drills to become backside dominant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Here is a tee drill Haley does.

2021-0507-1-001.jpg

Notice the hips are not level (green).

This is because she is trying to undercut the ball too much because the tee is too far back (yellow). The tee should be at the ball of the front foot (after the stride ends)(the tee should be at the right end of the yellow, not the left)

As I've said before, she strides with the front leg. Proof is front leg is straight (red), and her head has not progressed forward of her back foot. This drill may be causing some of this.

Stop this drill with this tee placement.

Dads, do not do drills where the tee is this far back.

Jun 8, 2016
I’m lost. referring to what?
This from RH:

"If this gif was a HS kid a bunch of the gurus would say " this is a momentum swing and wont play at the higher levels." LOL
I love this swing. It has a lot of suddenness.
As far as your DD swing, she looks a little tight and mechanical but powerful. No overhaul needed. See how Rendon has a rhythm."

was referring to the Rendon gif you posted... :LOL:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
To answer the original question, the step up drill and kick-through drills from Latta below have that intent. Not saying she needs it, just answering the question.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
View attachment 21998

Notice the hips are not level (green).

This is because she is trying to undercut the ball too much because the tee is too far back (yellow). The tee should be at the ball of the front foot (after the stride ends)(the tee should be at the right end of the yellow, not the left)

As I've said before, she strides with the front leg. Proof is front leg is straight (red), and her head has not progressed forward of her back foot. This drill may be causing some of this.

Stop this drill with this tee placement.

Dads, do not do drills where the tee is this far back.
I am not crazy about this position either. Maybe an exaggeration drill?

Jun 8, 2016
Also I think the phrase become "backside dominant" is probably not what the OP meant, although I could be wrong. Using the "backside" better would be a more appropriate phrase if that was actually an issue.

Oct 2, 2017
Also I think the phrase become "backside dominant" is probably not what the OP meant, although I could be wrong. Using the "backside" better would be a more appropriate phrase if that was actually an issue.

I also think its how we view what back side means. Is it backside as in the side of the body that is towards the catcher, or backside as in behind you aka your A$$(Sagittal plane). I would venture to say it's the former how most view or mean by backside. When maybe they need to be view it as the Latter. Just a thought.

I can tell you that for quite a while, when someone said backside as pertaining to hitting, i would have been thinking the side towards the catcher.

Jun 8, 2016
I also think its how we view what back side means. Is it backside as in the side of the body that is towards the catcher, or backside as in behind you aka your A$$(Sagittal plane). I would venture to say it's the former how most view or mean by backside. When maybe they need to be view it as the Latter. Just a thought.

I can tell you that for quite a while, when someone said backside as pertaining to hitting, i would have been thinking the side towards the catcher.
True..in any case Latta explains a bit about what is being activated/felt in those drills so OP can figure out for himself if that is what he is after 😉

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee