Drills for seeing the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
My DD is having difficulty picking up the ball out of the pitchers hand, are there any tips or drills we can do to help her with this. Whenever she hits off a tee, front toss, side toss, she has no problems making good solid contact. When she gets to a live pitcher she’s has trouble seeing the ball, she’s 13 btw.

May 12, 2016
Before trying any drills, get her eyes checked. JMHO. Thought my DD's eyes were perfect, but she had an astigmatism which affected her depth perception.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Before trying any drills, get her eyes checked. JMHO. Thought my DD's eyes were perfect, but she had an astigmatism which affected her depth perception.
THIS^^^

our DD had that issue...mild vision change but we initially got her glasses and it made a world of difference!

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Track the ball or track ahead of the ball.

We estimate the angles we see very early in the flight path.

If you track ahead of the ball, your anticipating the release and ready to hit.

Get a ball and have her see release and then shut her eyes moving the ball and have her pick up the front of the ball.

Practice tracking the ball through it’s flight, by moving your eyes ahead of the ball, Predicting the balls flight.

It’s like having it pitch black and turning on a strobe light. You get bits and pieces of the ball flight as the strobe flashes.

Predict the future. 😛

Feb 15, 2017
I thought there was an app called applied vision softball. I went to the site and it looks hacked now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
The Oakland A's did a lot of eye strengthening exercises and roids back in the day. Tried to stabilize the eyes by making the muscles stronger. They also would hit balls with numbers on them and different colors. The hitter would have to call the color or number out. They worked hard on keeping your eyes straight and catching bing bags using peripheral vision. Lots of other things that the vision apps probably cover.

May 12, 2016
I didn't look at all the videos on here, and maybe some mention this. But one thing to consider is soft vs hard focus. OP mentioned that DD has trouble seeing the ball out of the pitchers hand.. maybe too much hard focus and not enough soft. Before the pitcher releases the ball, try to soft focus, as the ball speeds towards you, now hard focus takes over. Somebody on here taught me this, wish I could remember who to give them kudos

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45