Drills/exercise for getting the ball out quickly?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Video example from this past weekend. This is probably the best example. Good throw but the ball doesn't leave her hand until the runner is halfway to 2nd.

This is mechanics.

1. Can count the tenths of seconds wasted carrying the ball backwards.
2. While throwing hand is Waiting
(relaxed at that)
(body is waiting) for the glove hand to bring throwing hand the ball.
3. When the glove hand/arm is moving backwards it limits the front side muscles from helping pull/move body into throw.
(waiting is not exploding)

Good news is~
Getting rid of the ball should/can be faster!
We can transition in front and use our front side into pivot exploding forward.
(same muscles used in a cartwheel) with hips/torso/shoulders.
( to erniekru notations can pick up body speed, *ball has to be in throwing hand already to throw, and produce more throwing speed)

Suggestion my previous posted drill.
*Turn Take.
Activate throwing hand get to the glove transition in front.

This discussion could be about what mechanics someone may preffer.
Can say from viewing this and shaving pop time speeds from changing where transition is. Her pop time can come down.
Not trying say you must change. Simply sharing the experiences in the difference in mechanics.

Last edited:
Reactions: #10

Jun 24, 2011
I second Rad's assessment of wasted tenths of seconds. I put the playback speed to 50% and noticed that after receiving the pitch, her glove hand goes out, and then back before the transfer.

One thing I did with my daughter since she was nine is a thing we called "snaps," which is basically snapping the glove to her ear as soon as she receives the pitch. The left elbow acts as a hinge to get the ball to the throwing release point asap. The throwing hand meets the glove at the ear for the transfer and throw.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I ask this question about drawing glove back to ear/shoulder.

Why is glove arm doing all the work?
While throwing hand waits?
When two hands can work together!

Example on dirt pitches.
Even when catchers block.
The throwing hand should come forward to pick ball off the dirt. And go into throw.
(thats an example of instinct/ mechanic throwing hand to the ball)
Not bringing ball backwards.
I teach fielding dirt pitches.
Really fast transitions!
Two hands to the ball.
Nothing goes backwards.

Just like fielding we square our shoulders to the ball.
Transition in front.
Think of a fly ball in the outfield
Its not really taught to only stick glove out with throwing hand back at our shoulder.
Really throwing hand works with glove to go to and threw the play.

Again not trying to change anyone.
Just bringing up discussion points. :)

Another example of throwing hand to the ball is on bunts and pass balls.
We put our glove down if needed but right next to it is...
our throwing hand.
Pick up with hand usually quickest results.

Last edited:

Jun 24, 2011
Ultimately, it's all about economy of motion. Here's a link to demonstrate what I'm talking about in my post above. Ashley Holcombe from Team USA:

Jul 31, 2019
I actually quit teaching glove to the ear as it is a negative motion and puts the throwing hand in a bad position to separate and lever. I have since thought driving through the ball and transferring at the chest

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Ultimately, it's all about economy of motion. Here's a link to demonstrate what I'm talking about in my post above. Ashley Holcombe from Team USA:

Another example of teaching something they don't do themselves like Jenny Finch teaching HE pitching. If you slow the video down, you'll find the transfer happens just in front of the middle of her body and the mitt never travels much further than the middle itself. Not a big fan of the video but if you do as she does and not do what she says, you'd be much better off IMO as this is the proper transfer point and how to do it.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I actually quit teaching glove to the ear as it is a negative motion and puts the throwing hand in a bad position to separate and lever. I have since thought driving through the ball and transferring at the chest
@Fury_Mike excellent to read a coach thinking through mechanics.
Can you share more from what you used to teach,
About the results you find now transition in front and driving through?! :)

Also prefer bursting forward into throw.
Think Fury_Mike words explain that also...driving through the ball.

From knees, Also from feet!
Like my explosive energy gaining ground toward throwing direction.
Body and its energy lining up with pivot.
Includes torso/shoulder/arm all heading the same direction assisting in healthy mechanics into throw.
*Bursting forward can also help clear a throwing lane in front of batters!

Not interested in
The stay behind the plate
Jump up rotate/spin move.
Draws the ball backwards.
Energy shuffles back and to the side.
Longer throw than neccessary.
Pulls torso/shoulder opposite direction (back & sideways)
When arm needs to throw forward.
* Will add this~ over the years have encountered those with shoulder pain and injury from this peculiar misdirection of what the body is doing.

Little story
While at a D1 college working with catchers. One was doing the stay back rotate. We were chatting and she said she has to be careful because she had shoulder surgery.
I asked, " how do you like your throwing mechanics?" she replied,..." If there is something that can improve my pop time i'm interested" i said well how about bursting forward instead like you would fielding or throwing from outfield.
She replied
"Thats how i used to throw, but they changed me at the college i transfered from and had this shoulder injury"

So we did some forward bursting drills.
Saw immediate harder throws.
I said
Would you like to compair and do the jump up twist again.
She said "NO" ;)

Amazing to recognize over the years how bursting forward has healthy benefits and can produce better pop times!

*its nice to be able to discuss things!
Best to think through what we're trying to accomplish!
Appreciate people chatting and perspectives!

Last edited:

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
DD has her throws on point (on target, good velocity) but it feels like getting the ball out is taking too long at the moment. Short of standing next to her and yelling “Faster!” while practicing throw downs, what are some good drills/exercises to increase transfer speed?
Make sure DD is breaking hands at the mid-chest elbows out everytime. It is the strongest most consistent position for throwing.

Here is a Antonelli video on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse