Drill for keeping weight back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2009
Hi all,

I am reaching out to you guys to find a drill to help my daughter keep her weight back when pitching. She is with a new pc for the last year and he has helped her immensely. We talk about what to work on after her lessons and he has given me some drills to work with her on. What I am looking for is some muscle memory drills to do around the house. She is 13 yrs. old and throws consistently around 52-54 mph. Her pc tells me he thinks she can get a bit more speed using a little more resistance. Thanks.

Jul 21, 2008
Hi all,

I am reaching out to you guys to find a drill to help my daughter keep her weight back when pitching. She is with a new pc for the last year and he has helped her immensely. We talk about what to work on after her lessons and he has given me some drills to work with her on. What I am looking for is some muscle memory drills to do around the house. She is 13 yrs. old and throws consistently around 52-54 mph. Her pc tells me he thinks she can get a bit more speed using a little more resistance. Thanks.

Try this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocGg7-yVAk4

Another good drill I use is get a pool noodle hold it directly in front of her face so that they are striding into the noodle. They will try to keep there face from hitting noodle and therefore keep weight back. I always watch for nose behind front hip. I only do this for 10 or so pitches so they get the feel for weigh being back. Noodle does block vision to catcher so don't worry about throwing strikes while doing this drill.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
We have discussed your problem, here - http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/3142-comment-form-please.html

Is she landing on a "straight" or bent front leg? It needs to be almost straight.

This is a common problem and I have changed my lessons, to address the leaning problem, first. I don't let it develop, initially. But, I have dozens of girls come in that bend and lean and it is very hard to correct.

Now, my first lesson is on one knee and talking about the function of the trunk. Girls that water ski, tell me that it is exactly like that.

Have her pitch w/o a ball, at home in front of a mirror or picture window.

Jul 26, 2010
Most softball players come fully equipped with a device pre-installed to help with this. I believe it's called a ponytail. Have the pitcher's parental unit grasp this device firmly during the slow-motion pitching motion, and then work up to speed.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45