Drag Foot (video)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
Does anyone have any drills to re-inforce not using drag foot as an anchor? DD comes off and drags the whole side of her foot and I can't seem to break her from it. This is something that started with her H/E instructor. Any suggestions?

https://youtu.be/GwoGqpNTmy8

Any other helpful tips you can offer would be appreciated as well. Critiques welcome.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD's pitching coach has a squeaky dog toy that she attaches to the top of DD's drag foot. DD then does drills into a tarp where the objective is to make the toy "squeak" by pulling the top of her drag foot into the back of her plant leg calf muscle. Objective is to create a light drag foot, eliminate "bowling" and finish with a transfer of energy from the drag leg into the pitch.

Oct 6, 2015
I made one of these from some 1x6 boards I had laying around. After a few pitches with it, DD keeps the laces forward. Still working on getting the result to stick though.

powerpush.jpg

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I made one of these from some 1x6 boards I had laying around. After a few pitches with it, DD keeps the laces forward. Still working on getting the result to stick though.

View attachment 9405

I have seen this device used to prevent pitchers from turning their foot while on the rubber, but it does not do much to prevent "bowling" with the drag foot.

Oct 6, 2015
What I've noticed is that if it stops them from dragging the foot and rather keeping the toe down and laces forward, it forces them to stand up straight. Eliminating the leaning over, bowling position. Like I said though, it works for awhile but the tendency returns. I guess we need to rep it out.

Oh, and that is a pic of the product, not the one I made of course. Mine is much more ghetto looking. :)

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
DD's pitching coach has a squeaky dog toy that she attaches to the top of DD's drag foot. DD then does drills into a tarp where the objective is to make the toy "squeak" by pulling the top of her drag foot into the back of her plant leg calf muscle. Objective is to create a light drag foot, eliminate "bowling" and finish with a transfer of energy from the drag leg into the pitch.

We are working on the same thing and I love this idea. I have found that taking the ball out of her hand and having her concentrate on laces forward only is helping some but I'm definitely going to give this a go.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We are working on the same thing and I love this idea. I have found that taking the ball out of her hand and having her concentrate on laces forward only is helping some but I'm definitely going to give this a go.

The "squeak" also gives audible feedback on how quickly the back leg is coming forward in reference to the release of the ball. The objective should be to minimize the delay from release to "squeak".

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas

View attachment 9405

DD tried that about 3-4 years ago. It was AWFUL. She hated it and almost completely quit. Went to a different pitching coach, and he merely broke her mechanics down to the basics and built her back up. No more side foot drag. Ironically, she is back with that pitching coach, and she is very happy and doing well.

Jun 1, 2013
Ok, so interested in hearing what she is doing maybe with her hips or weight distribution to make her drag. When you say he broke down her mechanics I am assuming there was an underlying issue as to why she was dragging the foot. Or is she just dragging her foot because she is just dragging her foot?

BTW, Thanks for the squeaky toy idea. We will try it today.

Last edited:

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
I think I remember seeing Jackie T warming up a few years ago with a resistance band attached to her drag foot, another player was holding the other end. My guess would be promoting pulling that foot up instead of just dragging it along

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802