Drag Bunting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Having that tool in your toolbox cannot hurt. Marcela can run and bats cleanup so the corners are always back. There are times when she is struggling that a drag bunt might be just what the doctor ordered. Once she figures out how to hit..I will work that in to her arsenal ;)
👍🎉

Oct 26, 2019
Sometimes just the illusion that you might bunt brings the corners in more and opens up holes to hit through. It’s a great weapon against a left handed pitcher too - as they often struggle to make that turn and throw. If I trust my bunter, I will let him/her try a bunt for a hit first before I have them lay down the sac bunt. Just another weapon in the arsenal. With some of the non-athletic looking pitchers and third baseman I see, I’m surprised you don’t see it more often.

Used to tell my players. I don’t think I could get a hit off of Randy Johnson, but if I had to try it would definitely be a bunt hit!

May 23, 2015
Your first move with a drag bunt RH is your front foot towards homeplate and not with your back foot. Moving your front foot first helps you cover outside pitches if necessary and sets the bat angle. LH first step is your Backfoot forward and towards home for the same reason of setting your bat angle. It's rarely taught properly thats why you don't see it often

A true drag bunt is meant to go down the firstbase line. Thats where it gets its name. The ball follows you like your dragging it on a string behind you. RH and LH batters can pull it off

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
As a right handed batter drag/sneak bunting~
My first foot movement is~
Left foot/leg stepping toward first (striding)
As right foot/leg is driving sprinting. (pushing)

👉its basically going into a sprint at the same time as laying the bunt down.
(try this~athletic position and go into a sprint to your left front side~left foot leads~ easy peasy!)

No added footwork is part of deception.
Also un-needed for explosion out of the box.

Left foot first step toward first can help reach outside pitches if needed.
By Keeping body position consistant to the plate using mechanics of dropping bat down right hip side.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
A player that can hit the ball hard or bunt for a hit is DANGEROUS!

Right handlers that can run should work on this NOW!

I heard one of the best coaches in softball claim that players that can do this can add 100 points to her average.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
A player that can hit the ball hard or bunt for a hit is DANGEROUS!

Right handlers that can run should work on this NOW!

I heard one of the best coaches in softball claim that players that can do this can add 100 points to her average.
Wow 100 points!

Absolutely no-doubt small ball helped my productivity as an aggresive batter!

... For those figuring out who there corners should be.... :)
Lets ask this defensive question~

"Who wants to creep forward on batters who may drop a bunt or may crush this next pitch at you?"

radness

Dec 13, 2019
@RADcatcher I personally thought she may have been overstating the 100 points but I did appreciate her thoughts on it!
;)

Well for players who are lousy at swinging contact, bunting easier to get the BALL in play.
Probly give that 100 point advantage. Just a guess :)

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
How do you teach a RH to drag? No sac but true drag. I hit LH and have know clue.

A RH hitter can't drag bunt unless she's running to third base. "Drag" means "pull along" (implying from behind). It's not possible for a righty to drag the ball. They're either dropping it down the third base line or pushing it up the first base line.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22