Dr. Sherry Werner - Biomechanical engineer specializing in pitching movement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Might as well discuss this lady's work in analyzing pitchers. The bio:

Dr. Werner’s Bio: Sherry Werner, PhD is currently a biomechanics consultant with Ben Hogan Sports Medicine, TMI Sports Medicine and Tulane Institute of Sports Medicine and a pitching instructor at the Sherry Werner Fastpitch Academy in the Red Barn Sports Academy. She has held faculty positions at the Tulane University School of Medicine, Department of Physical Therapy at Louisiana State University, Tulane University Department of Biomedical Engineering and the UTA Department of Kinesiology. She has held research positions at the United States Olympic Training Center (Colorado Springs, CO), the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, AL, the Steadman-Hawkins Sports Medicine Foundation in Vail, CO, the Tulane Institute for Sports Medicine in New Orleans, LA and at TMI Sports Medicine in Arlington, TX. She received a MS degree in Biomechanics from Indiana University in 1989 and a PhD in Biomechanics from The Pennsylvania State University in 1995. She was selected to the COSIDA Academic All-American Softball Team while earning a bachelors degree from Slippery Rock University.

Dr. Werner’s research has focused on the effects of throwing motions at the shoulder, elbow and wrist. Past projects include data collection and analysis of Major League Baseball pitchers videotaped during spring training, data collection and analysis of elite softball pitchers during the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, GA and an analysis of National Football League quarterbacks videotaped at the Denver Broncos’ practice facility. She also led researchers in collecting high speed video, force plate and muscle activity data from professional golfers at Greg Norman’s annual Shark Shootout golf tournament. Most recently her research efforts have been directed toward Big XII quarterbacks and pitchers. Sherry also released an instructional pitching DVD with Jennie Finch in 2011.

Dr. Werner has received research grants from the United States Olympic Committee, the International Olympic Committee and NFL Charities. She consults with the United States Olympic Committee, Little League Baseball/Softball, Softball Australia, Softball Canada, the Amateur Softball Association, Tulane Sports Medicine, TMI Sports Medicine and Ben Hogan Sports Medicine in an effort to apply her research.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Anything more recent than 2001?

Are you expecting female bio-mechanics to be different? Doubt they have changed since 1996. I have never heard of the video documentation taken in that report being available to the public, thats why they came out with the report.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Dr. Werner is writing a monthly column for Fastpitch magazine. Her first column two months ago was about who she is and the work she's done. The second one, last month's, was on the initial footwork. The next one, the one I'm waiting on, hoping it gives some insight, is on front-side resistance. The only way to see these articles is to either purchase the magazines independently or subscribe to the magazine. It's only 12 bucks a year and has some pretty good interviews and videos from time to time. I watched a 1 hr Bill Hillhouse video through them. I should mention the magazine is only available through an iPad app. If it's available on the android platform I haven't seen it.

Here is a drill Dr. Werner outlines for teaching front-side resistance.

Fastpitch Softball TV Network » Blog Archive Creating Front Side Resistance

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
I actually looked around for her email address, I was going to write her and deplore her release the video for mechanical analysis. She's analyzing motion in relationship to injury. I think we want it to analyze it for mechanical efficiency and potential.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Are you expecting female bio-mechanics to be different? Doubt they have changed since 1996. I have never heard of the video documentation taken in that report being available to the public, thats why they came out with the report.

Well, back in 1996 we had beepers and bag phones whereas today we have mobile phones that take pictures, access the net, and have more memory than the computers of those old days. So, while I'm sure that the biomechanics haven't changed, there have been substantial technological advances lthat further our ability to evaluate them. So yeah, that's why I asked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812