Dr. Kaila Holtz OLY

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ok, so as an example of my expertise in this area, power is often followed by the word "aid" and I drink it. Energy is what I have lost a lot of since turning 62. I am getting the feeling that I need to leave this thread alone after reading all of the physics stuff.

Aug 2, 2019
It’s been a while since I took physics, but ... I can Google ...

E= mc^2 with c being the speed of light, not velocity.

Kinetic energy (energy possessed in motion) = 1/2 mv

In terms of physics, power is work/change in time ...

So if we are going to say she is losing half her power ... maybe we need to know what that means ... because it doesn’t mean the same thing in physics. Are you talking the force of the ball? How fast the ball is moving?

I used the wrong formula. I was talking about the kinetic energy in the ball. In that formula velocity is squared as well, so while I was applying the wrong formula, and all my terminology was incorrect, the point I was attempting to make is still correct (I think. Remember I'm working this out in a pea brain, and it's been a long time since I've seen the inside of a classroom.) That point is that a ball at 49mph has 1.5 times the kinetic energy as a ball moving at 40mph.

That energy comes from the pitcher. Assuming that the transfer of energy is accomplished in the same amount of time, that indicates to me that it would take 50% more power to achieve that increase in speed.

Jun 8, 2016
So because of an exaggeration and a possible loose handle on physics are you all going to miss out of the main and true fact that a majority of pitchers don’t use their lower half properly.
I agree. I don't know squat about softball pitching but when I look at the pitchers on my DD's 12U team and compare them to elite pitchers it is fairly obvious that they are not using their lower half as well as they could.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019
So because of an exaggeration and a possible loose handle on physics are you all going to miss out of the main and true fact that a majority of pitchers don’t use their lower half properly.

Sorry to say but if your dd is a pitcher she can probably do a better job of generating power with her legs. We all focus on whip, and BI. And as long as the ball is in a good position at 9:00 we are happy, but leg drive is rarely discussed.
We all know this.

What is pretty clear we don't know, is everything we are actually talking about.

Oct 4, 2018
While I agree that 99.9% is a silly number, calling her a 'Twitter Guru' grossly underplays her credentials. She pitched in D1 and the Olympics, and is a physician with a specialization in muscles and the nervous system (had to look up physiatrist!!). We need more women like her, with a background and a passion for the sport, accompanied by some serious science and research. Hopefully she can lay off the eye-grabbing hyperbole.

Stop staring at her hyperboles.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO, she is coming off as one more pitching guru trying to sell something as the "one true way" to pitching nirvana.

And as long as the ball is in a good position at 9:00 we are happy, but leg drive is rarely discussed.
???

DFP has the best resource for lower drive mechanics on the Internet. Java's drive mechanics thread is a masterpiece.

Aug 2, 2019
IMHO, she is coming off as one more pitching guru trying to sell something as the "one true way" to pitching nirvana.

???

DFP has the best resource for lower drive mechanics on the Internet. Java's drive mechanics thread is a masterpiece.
This thread is about physics now.

DO you have a formula you would like to share?

Nov 8, 2018

???

Full stop. I’ve read it and it’s REALLY GOOD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
1. IMHO, she is coming off as one more pitching guru trying to sell something as the "one true way" to pitching nirvana.

2. DFP has the best resource for lower drive mechanics on the Internet. Java's drive mechanics thread is a masterpiece.
Thanks for chiming in Sluggers. From my perspective you hit the nail on the head and that is what got me started. Both 1 and 2 were exactly my first 2 thoughts.

Jun 8, 2016
Hey @sluggers you laughing at the obvious nature of my opinion or that I am actually giving one after admitting I don't know a thing about softball pitching..both are valid takes ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812