DP/Flex

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
I have a hard time wrapping my brain around all of the possibilities with dp /flex amd I only used it in the most simplistic way over the summer. (Neither of my two main pitchers hit for various reasons.)

Saw this in a game. Coach using dp/flex for his pitcher. The third baseman got too much heat. DP goes in to play defense at third. 3b doesn’t play defense but still hit.

What happened there? Is it just a defensive substitution that doesn’t need to be reported? It’s not a substitution, right?

The DP can play defense for any fielder, other than the flex and it is nothing but a defensive position change and there is no need to report it to the umpire, unless they are pitching and then simply because the pitcher is eligible for a courtesy runner. When the DP plays defense for anyone other than the flex no one has left the game and there have been no substitutions. If the DP does play defense for the flex, then the flex has left the game and must use a reentry to come back into the game. The same is true if the flex bats or runs for the DP, then the DP has left the game and must use a reentry to come back.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
You don't have much of a choice unless you make out your lineup based on how fast someone can run. I'm never seen it done that way

Lol...I have. It would work out great if the faster kids could figure out some way to get on base.

Oct 24, 2010
[...]
Saw this in a game. Coach using dp/flex for his pitcher. The third baseman got too much heat. DP goes in to play defense at third. 3b doesn’t play defense but still hit.

What happened there? Is it just a defensive substitution that doesn’t need to be reported? It’s not a substitution, right?

That's a feature of the DP/Flex. When on defense, the flex must be in the field plus any eight of the other nine. Some codes require position changes to be reported but this is not a substitution. Comp has explained other nuances of the DP/Flex.

Apr 20, 2015
Many tournaments have an unlimited substitution/reentry clause especially at lower levels which may be why those coaches don't know that it can technically only be one time. 625 it seems like you really prefer the rules of baseball....maybe that's the forum for you

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 23, 2015
Seriously? I always adapt the line-up to best suit the skills of my players. What do you do, pick em out of a hat?
So your 1 hole is the fastest on the tram and 9 is the slowest? Never seen that. What happens when you slow 9 gets a hit and your fastest 1 is on deck?

Picking out of a hat would most likely be better than that strategy

Dec 11, 2010
Once you have a lineup that is dangerous from top to bottom, you start adjusting for speed and running ability.

There are a lot of teams that don’t have 9 offensively dangerous players or just do station to station base running so I assume they dont look at it the same way.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
So your 1 hole is the fastest on the tram and 9 is the slowest? Never seen that. What happens when you slow 9 gets a hit and your fastest 1 is on deck?

Picking out of a hat would most likely be better than that strategy

That's exactly the opposite of what I said.

My original post said I'd never have my slow girl directly in front of the fast girls.

If there's speed at the top there must be speed at the bottom.

Your slow girl should be middle-late middle. If she's slow she must have power, otherwise why would you have her in your lineup? If you're filling your lineup with girls who can hit AND can't run you might as well pick them out of a hat.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Is there any rule set that allows this to be unlimited? I run into so many people who have been around the game for a good while who seem to think and often repeat "the flex can always run for the DP" and look at me crazy when I tell them it's really only once unless I want to burn the DP.

NSA has a 'Twin' rule instead of dp/filex. It is basically two players occupying one spot in the lineup. Only one can be in the game at the any time but you can change who that is as many times as you want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802