DP/Flex

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Of course it makes it simple. You have a lot lore options than in baseball. You pull a player in baseball theyre gone no reentry. The dh is forced to only hit for the pitcher.

What did yall do before the dp flex rule?
It may vary but outside of pro baseball you can usually have your DH hit for anyone in the field.

Aug 25, 2019
I've found the coaches who use DP/Flex, just kind of leave it alone, they don't have the flex run or hit in the dp spot, they just set the lineup and leave it as is.

May 23, 2015
It may vary but outside of pro baseball you can usually have your DH hit for anyone in the field.
Yes ncaa and mlb it must be for the 1. HS ball anything goes.

Some high school Baseball will allow for re entry. I think it's pretty rare though

Jul 22, 2015
You can do that once, the 2nd time you do that you will have burned the dp's re-entry and she is done for the game.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Is there any rule set that allows this to be unlimited? I run into so many people who have been around the game for a good while who seem to think and often repeat "the flex can always run for the DP" and look at me crazy when I tell them it's really only once unless I want to burn the DP.

Jun 22, 2008
Is there any rule set that allows this to be unlimited? I run into so many people who have been around the game for a good while who seem to think and often repeat "the flex can always run for the DP" and look at me crazy when I tell them it's really only once unless I want to burn the DP.

NCAA experimented with a twins rule a couple of years ago that allowed flipping the players any time you wanted with no penalty and I think maybe it is NSA that allows something similar. But as far as the straight DP/Flex, they both have to be playing their respective parts in the lineup or one of them has left the game and must use a reentry to come back into the game.

Dec 11, 2010
I have a hard time wrapping my brain around all of the possibilities with dp /flex amd I only used it in the most simplistic way over the summer. (Neither of my two main pitchers hit for various reasons.)

Saw this in a game. Coach using dp/flex for his pitcher. The third baseman got too much heat. DP goes in to play defense at third. 3b doesn’t play defense but still hit.

What happened there? Is it just a defensive substitution that doesn’t need to be reported? It’s not a substitution, right?

Jul 22, 2015
I have a hard time wrapping my brain around all of the possibilities with dp /flex amd I only used it in the most simplistic way over the summer. (Neither of my two main pitchers hit for various reasons.)

Saw this in a game. Coach using dp/flex for his pitcher. The third baseman got too much heat. DP goes in to play defense at third. 3b doesn’t play defense but still hit.

What happened there? Is it just a defensive substitution that doesn’t need to be reported? It’s not a substitution, right?
Just think of DP as a position like any other. It's no different than your SS and 2B (or any other 2 batters already in the lineup) switching positions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28