DP/Flex

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
Have to disagree. It is a GREAT rule. Allows you all sorts of flexibility and capabilities - and allows you to get an extra girl into the game.
It just dumbs the game down unnecessarily. It takes a way so much strategy in the game. Reentry is the same.

Jul 22, 2015
It just dumbs the game down unnecessarily. It takes a way so much strategy in the game. Reentry is the same.
I would completely disagree with that. Both of those rules ADD tons of strategy if you're a coach who cares to use them to your advantage, and they also allow more players to get into the game.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Totally disagree. There is a massive amount of strategy with DP/Flex and rentry.

DP/FLex allows massive pitching and fielding flexibility and on long, hot days, being able to rest a player is a huge advantage when used right.

For reentry it is great to be able to get a player back into the game - and not burn them in an early inning and have them know they can't go back in. That helps as well.

And another advantage is that it is different than baseball. Which I am all for.

May 23, 2015
Of course it makes it simple. You have a lot lore options than in baseball. You pull a player in baseball theyre gone no reentry. The dh is forced to only hit for the pitcher.

What did yall do before the dp flex rule?

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Of course it makes it simple. You have a lot lore options than in baseball. You pull a player in baseball theyre gone no reentry. The dh is forced to only hit for the pitcher.

What did yall do before the dp flex rule?

More options makes it more complex. DH is easy... best bat for your pitcher. What is the strategy in that? No reentry I just leave my best 9 out there until the very end of the game and lots of subs sit around doing nothing. And having a re-entry means my subbed player can still be involved in the game versus being done and having nothing else to do (hell if you get pulled, I don't know why they wouldn't just go home since your game is over - just kidding).

Having the DP & Flex able to be in the field means I can rest any player from being in the field in any inning.

I have subbed into the DP spot and the FLEX spot - not using the FLEX to do so - and I have run for my DP with my FLEX and batted for my DP with my FLEX! Often for strategy reasons - but just as often to get my players more time on the field.

DP/FLex has always been around for softball since I got involved; so before that I was involved in different sports. :cool:

May 23, 2015
More options makes it more complex. DH is easy... best bat for your pitcher. What is the strategy in that?
Down 2 runs and 20 minutes on the clock or in the 5 inning. Your A pitcher is slow as molasses and shes on first with no outs. Shes an anchor. Two speedsters behind her to the plate. On the bench is a solid base runner. Pull the pitcher and lose her for the game or roll the dice?

Best SS on deck and shes a marginal hitter and you need a hit, but a bomber who can't glove anything is on the bench.....

Best glove is on the bench and your up by 3 late in the game. Do you pull a bat to seal the deal....

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Down 2 runs and 20 minutes on the clock or in the 5 inning. Your A pitcher is slow as molasses and shes on first with no outs. Shes an anchor. Two speedsters behind her to the plate. On the bench is a solid base runner. Pull the pitcher and lose her for the game or roll the dice?

Best SS on deck and shes a marginal hitter and you need a hit, but a bomber who can't glove anything is on the bench.....

Best glove is on the bench and your up by 3 late in the game. Do you pull a bat to seal the deal....

All things you decide strategically every inning with DP/FLEX and reentries.

Jun 22, 2008
625, you seem to be under the impression that the same thing couldn't be done without using the dp/flex. Every player has a re-entry, it's not like the dp/flex allows some magical unlimited switching of players. I don't think you have any real understanding of the rule and what can and cannot be done since you have already wrongly stated that the dp and flex cannot both play defense at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28