DP/Flex

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
The DP Flex thing is a little confusing to me. I know in softball you can DP/Flex for players other than pitcher and the player hitting can come into the game, but I am not really sure what player is the DP and who is the flex.

So just for hypothetical....let's say that your two best pitchers are your two best hitters on your team. You have one player that is a great outfielder and but can't hit well. You are in the championship game of a big tournament so you only want to bat your best hitters. You need to start one pitcher but you need to be able to bring in the other pitcher of needed yet keep both of your pitchers bats in the lineup. Let's just say that your left fielder is your week hitter. I assume that you can bring your pitcher that is hitting for the left fielder, but what happens to the left fielder and the other pitcher you want to keep hitting? Let's just assume you would rather give up the defense than the bat.

May 23, 2015
Keep it simple. Its a terrible rule but thats another conversation.

One player hits and one fields, but look at them as a single player because they sub for each other

DP = Batter
FLEX = Defense

So you have a great SS but she's not a strong hitter you have someone bat for her. Theyre tied together

Both can not play in the field at the same time. One can bat for another. Neither can be used as subs for other players

Aug 25, 2019
DP/Flex Can play defense at same time, they cannot be in batting lineup since the flex can only bat for the dp.

May 1, 2018
I used to use this for my Daughter (DP)who is slow but hits a ton. She would hit and then flex would come in to run and play defense. The flex girl was super fast and played very good defense.
Learn how to write it in the line up card. If you use it correctly it can be a big advantage for some girls who struggle in on aspect of the game.

Aug 25, 2019
The DP Flex thing is a little confusing to me. I know in softball you can DP/Flex for players other than pitcher and the player hitting can come into the game, but I am not really sure what player is the DP and who is the flex.

So just for hypothetical....let's say that your two best pitchers are your two best hitters on your team. You have one player that is a great outfielder and but can't hit well. You are in the championship game of a big tournament so you only want to bat your best hitters. You need to start one pitcher but you need to be able to bring in the other pitcher of needed yet keep both of your pitchers bats in the lineup. Let's just say that your left fielder is your week hitter. I assume that you can bring your pitcher that is hitting for the left fielder, but what happens to the left fielder and the other pitcher you want to keep hitting? Let's just assume you would rather give up the defense than the bat.
In this example, one pitcher hits for herself, the other pitcher is the dp, the weak hitting outfielder is the flex, she will never hit. You can switch the pitcher with the dp pitcher no problem, (they both have their own batting spot) I believe as much as you want. They are both in the batting lineup, it would be like if you were switching the 2b and rf after every at bat.

Jul 22, 2015
The DP is always in the batting order until you either sub for her or allow the flex to hit. DP is a position just like P, C, etc. If you put the DP in the field it's just like you switched your 2B to SS. I love to use my second pitcher in the DP slot if she and my starter are both good hitters because it makes that switch so easy and keeps them both in the lineup. The main thing to know is that you can't have the flex and DP both on offense at the same time.

Jun 22, 2008

One player hits and one fields, but look at them as a single player because they sub for each other

DP = Batter
FLEX = Defense

So you have a great SS but she's not a strong hitter you have someone bat for her. Theyre tied together

Both can not play in the field at the same time. One can bat for another. Neither can be used as subs for other players
It's not a terrible rule, people just refuse to understand it, and yes bother the flex and dp most certainly can play defense at the same time, but they cannot both bat in the lineup.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
I used to use this for my Daughter (DP)who is slow but hits a ton. She would hit and then flex would come in to run and play defense. The flex girl was super fast and played very good defense.
Learn how to write it in the line up card. If you use it correctly it can be a big advantage for some girls who struggle in on aspect of the game.
You can do that once, the 2nd time you do that you will have burned the dp's re-entry and she is done for the game.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Have to disagree. It is a GREAT rule. Allows you all sorts of flexibility and capabilities - and allows you to get an extra girl into the game.

As long as I have 11 players (I want a sub for CR/etc), I don't think I have coached a game without having a DP/FLEX on bracket/elimination day in years (I generally bat everyone in pool)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28