DP/Flex ruling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL
I am wanting to use the DP/Flex so that I can have 2 pitchers in the game defensively... My starting pitcher being the better hitter. SO I am wanting to DP my starter and flex my 2nd pitcher. To begin the game I want to enter my DP defensively in the pitcher position... Blue's wouldn't allow it saying she couldn't be the starting pitcher and in the lineup if she was listed as the DP. I'm pretty sure I can do that but wanted some rule in the book that allows it! The pitcher isn't a special position exempt from entering the game prior to the game from the DP position is it?

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I'm confused as to why you want to enter a DP defensively in the beginning of the game? Why wouldn't you put both pitchers in the game defensively to start? If one is pitching and the other is RF you could move them every batter if you wanted without an issue. But no you can't swap DP and Flex because they are viewed as 1 person. So you can put a different person other that the flex/dp in that position but can't use them for each other without a substitution. Below is from ASA

Defensive Position Swaps Involving the DP and Flex
As with any lineup, defensive position swaps are not substitutions.

The DP starts at the defensive position of "F10"1 - benchwarmer. This means you can swap the DP with any player other than the Flex on defense and no one has left the game; it is not a substitution.

The player removed from defense continues to bat in her normal place in the batting order.

The Flex can be moved from her starting defensive position to any other defensive position (except for "F10" - benchwarmer), and she remains the Flex, and it is not a substitution.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
There is nothing special about the Pitcher position when it comes to DP/Flex.

The DP starts at the defensive position of -bascially- on the bench and listed as Flex on the lineup card. This means you can swap the DP with any player other than the Flex on defense and no one has left the game; it is not a substitution.

The player removed from defense continues to bat in her normal place in the batting order.

The Flex can be moved from her starting defensive position to any other defensive position, and she remains the Flex, and it is not a substitution.

DP / Flex Rule Explanation

We often get baseball officials coming over to umpire softball and they don't have a clue about DP/Flex. We have print outs of how it works in our coaches bags to make sure we are allowed to do what the rule allows us to do.

We use DP/Flex a lot to rest players while keeping their bat in the lineup as much as we do for getting a better glove/weak bat in to the field.

Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL
I'm confused as to why you want to enter a DP defensively in the beginning of the game? Why wouldn't you put both pitchers in the game defensively to start? If one is pitching and the other is RF you could move them every batter if you wanted without an issue. But no you can't swap DP and Flex because they are viewed as 1 person. So you can put a different person other that the flex/dp in that position but can't use them for each other without a substitution. Below is from ASA

The DP starts at the defensive position of "F10"1 - benchwarmer. This means you can swap the DP with any player other than the Flex on defense and no one has left the game; it is not a substitution.

The Flex can be moved from her starting defensive position to any other defensive position (except for "F10" - benchwarmer), and she remains the Flex, and it is not a substitution.

I want my starting pitcher to be able to bat the entire game. I want our second pitcher to be able to come in and not hit. This is the only way I could figure out how to do that without using a substitution.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I want my starting pitcher to be able to bat the entire game. I want our second pitcher to be able to come in and not hit. This is the only way I could figure out how to do that without using a substitution.

Well yes and yes legal use of DP/Flex, but why not just put your pitcher in as a regular line up player and use your flex elsewhere in your lineup if you feel the need?

Even when you pull your pitcher and replace her with the 'flex' player at pitcher, you can move your pitcher to the bench (or any other position) without a sub as you can have the DP and flex in the field at the same time. Defensive positioning is not tied to particular players.

Nov 17, 2010

Do you want your second pitcher to start in the field? If so, make the second pitcher the FLEX. The DP can be anyone including the starting pitcher. Then swapping pitchers is just a defensive swap.

If you don't want your pitcher to be in the field to start and not bat when she pitches, then you need another player start as the FLEX and substitute the second pitcher for the FLEX. That would mean the starting FLEX has left the game.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I am wanting to use the DP/Flex so that I can have 2 pitchers in the game defensively... My starting pitcher being the better hitter. SO I am wanting to DP my starter and flex my 2nd pitcher. To begin the game I want to enter my DP defensively in the pitcher position... Blue's wouldn't allow it saying she couldn't be the starting pitcher and in the lineup if she was listed as the DP. I'm pretty sure I can do that but wanted some rule in the book that allows it! The pitcher isn't a special position exempt from entering the game prior to the game from the DP position is it?

What you are wanting to do is perfectly legal.

- Complete your lineup with your DP listed where you would like her to bat. She is listed in your lineup as the DP
- Your FLEX is placed at the bottom of the lineup and is listed as the pitcher (F1)
- At the pre-game plate conference, once the lineups have been reviewed and accepted by the PU, tell him/her that you would
like to have your DP pitch and your FLEX be on the bench. Your FLEX has now left the game and must use her re-entry to get
back in the game. Your lineup has dropped from 10 players to 9 players

If your starting pitcher is having an off day or tires or whatever, your FLEX player is not playing defense and can be warming up to pitch. When you want the FLEX to pitch, inform the PU that your FLEX is coming in the game to pitch. That is her re-entry. Your DP can be moved to another defensive position or can be on the bench on defense and still hit in the same spot in the order.

Feb 3, 2011
You can do what you're describing, but it seems unnecessary. DP/flex can be used however you wish, and we've all got different uses for it. Sometimes it's to optimize a lineup and defensive positioning and sometimes it's simply to get more kids into a game. If you want both players in the lineup and batting, then start the game with them there and make the defensive swap whenever you want to make the change. If you want to remove one of them from the game to let someone else bat, you can make an offensive substitution and then still re-enter the pitcher to play defense. Subs are also entitled to a re-entry. If the starting pitcher is a great hitter that you intend to bat the entire game no matter what, you can make another player the flex, but you don't have to.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812