DP/FLEX Memory Tools

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2014
Ohio
No matter how you slice it, someone just learning the Rule will have to study it. Any KISS version will necessarily leave out parts of the rule and its application that have to be absorbed through study. Though my 1,2,3 version helps me recall the rest of the Rule, and would have saved me a lot of figuring-out as I was absorbing the rule, it may also help someone as they first encounter the explanation of it. Maybe not. When I was first researching it, I found a site that suggested thinking of the DP/FLEX as Twins. That didn't help me but it may help others. Same with Umpires' KISS. Would love to hear what others use. No matter how complicated someone else might deem it, if it works for you, let's hear it...

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The flex has left the game and would have to use a reentry to come back into the game. Calling it a substitution is the simplest way to explain it.

But calling it such contradicts the definition of a substitution. IMO, the simplest way to explain it is that the player has left the game.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
No matter how you slice it, someone just learning the Rule will have to study it. Any KISS version will necessarily leave out parts of the rule and its application that have to be absorbed through study. Though my 1,2,3 version helps me recall the rest of the Rule, and would have saved me a lot of figuring-out as I was absorbing the rule, it may also help someone as they first encounter the explanation of it. Maybe not. When I was first researching it, I found a site that suggested thinking of the DP/FLEX as Twins. That didn't help me but it may help others. Same with Umpires' KISS. Would love to hear what others use. No matter how complicated someone else might deem it, if it works for you, let's hear it...

I agree with that. Lock yourself in a room, and go through all the permutations. There will be an aha moment, and you will then know more than 75% of the umpires, and 50% of HS coaches.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
ASA 1.Substitute - Any member of the team's roster who is not listed as a starting player, or a player who leaves and re-enters the game.

NCAA 8.1.2.2 Substitute refers to a player not listed on the lineup card as a starter
but who may legally replace one of the first nine or 10 (if a designated player
is used) players listed on the lineup card submitted to the umpire before the
start of the game. A substitute who is replaced may not re-enter the game at
any time for any reason.

Of course, being the NCAA, they later define "Charged" and "Uncharged" substitutions dealing specifically with the DP/Flex.

IMO, the NFHS & NCAA books are dummied down for those who need every scenario in black and white for the purpose of comprehension. :)

Mar 26, 2013
IMO, the NFHS & NCAA books are dummied down for those who need every scenario in black and white for the purpose of comprehension. :)
However, you and the rest of your cronies used case books. :rolleyes: NFHS and NCAA were wise to follow the OBR (MLB) model instead of blindly using and/or following ASA.

MTR's statement represents the attitude of people with self-inflated egos that feel "special" because they spent countless hours learning how to understand a rule book that can't be read at face value. They really don't want people to be able to learn the rules on their own because it threatens their "special" status.

Jul 6, 2014
Ohio

You can't exclude ASA either: Rule 4 - Section 3. F. (Essentially says the same thing as the NFHS rule.)

Oct 24, 2010
However, you and the rest of your cronies used case books. :rolleyes: NFHS and NCAA were wise to follow the OBR (MLB) model instead of blindly using and/or following ASA.

And what model would that be? Fed has a casebook and interpretations. NCAA has 50+ pages of approved rulings.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

The ASA book is one of the easiest rule books to follow and that includes any Federation, NCAA & MLB

MTR's statement represents the attitude of people with self-inflated egos that feel "special" because they spent countless hours learning how to understand a rule book that can't be read at face value. They really don't want people to be able to learn the rules on their own because it threatens their "special" status.

What an idiotic statement. Someone has an ego problem because s/he works at learning the proper manner in which to enforce the rules of the game?

Umpired for 48 years and wished EVERYONE would take the time to actually read and learn the rules instead of going out of one's way to try to find loopholes and ways around the rules to satisfy their need to be superior. I used to open up EVERY clinic and school, free of charge, to ANYONE who was interested in the rules and mechanics.

I find it amazing that people always resort to declaring those who know the rules as ego-maniacs while they sit around with their thumb up their rear and prefer to degrade those who don't join them

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
And what model would that be? Fed has a casebook and interpretations. NCAA has 50+ pages of approved rulings.
Two sentences making different points:
1. MTR's statement is idiotic because it ignores he learned the rules via scenarios presented in casebooks.
2. OBR also contains approved rulings in their rule book to clarify the rules.

The fact Fed and NCAA also have casebooks is not pertinent to my points, however it does demonstrate their rule books don't present "every scenario in black and white for the purpose of comprehension" as MTR ridiculously posted. Thanks!