DP/Flex and AP in USSSA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 7, 2016
My lineup has 11...8 players playing offense/defense, 1 player playing offense (AP), 1 DP, and 1 Flex. I am batting 10 (8+AP+DP=10)

If the AP is treated like a "position" meaning any of the 9 players (8 O/D + 1 AP) can switch positions at any time without it being reported or treated as a substitution...then can the Flex "play" the AP position?

The rules say that the Flex and the DP can never be on offense at the same time. So that would mean the answer to my question is no. However, nowhere does it say in the AP rules that the Flex can't be the AP.

What am I misinterpreting?

Thanks!

Jun 22, 2008
The flex and the dp are connected. The only position the flex can ever bat in is the position held by the dp.

Jul 7, 2016
Thank you. For further clarification...anyone in the starting lineup (besides the DP/Flex) can fill the AP position at any time (as if the AP is a non-fielding position.) Is this correct?

Jun 11, 2013
Thank you. For further clarification...anyone in the starting lineup (besides the DP/Flex) can fill the AP position at any time (as if the AP is a non-fielding position.) Is this correct?

Are you asking if anyone can take that spot in the batting lineup if they are already in the lineup?

May 17, 2012
1. Flex must always play defense.
2. DP's and AP's can freely move about on defense (or sit the bench on defense). See rule 1.

It seems to me that umpires only care about defensive changes when the AP or DP become a pitcher or catcher. For example if my DP or AP starts on the bench and goes to RF the next inning to play defense I would not report it. It's not a substitution just a defensive change. It's like swapping SS and 2B. See Rule 1.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2016
Yes canyonjoe. Can anyone in the lineup take the AP "position"? Technically, if the DP can move freely about on defense, than the only reason they couldn't be the AP would be because the AP is considered strictly an offense position, thereby making the DP ineligible to play that "position."

Jul 7, 2016
And...gunnershotgun...I believe the Flex can also play offense. As long as they play offense in the DP slot and the DP leaves the game. (I think.)

May 17, 2012
And...gunnershotgun...I believe the Flex can also play offense. As long as they play offense in the DP slot and the DP leaves the game. (I think.)

This in spirit is true but technically when the flex subs in to hit for the DP you no longer have flex/DP and the lineup is back to 9 players.

This is a substitution on the DP (but not the flex as they were already in the game). This is important for reentry purposes.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Yes canyonjoe. Can anyone in the lineup take the AP "position"? Technically, if the DP can move freely about on defense, than the only reason they couldn't be the AP would be because the AP is considered strictly an offense position, thereby making the DP ineligible to play that "position."

The AP is the same as any other position in the lineup. Any eligible substitute may take that position at any time, but just as with any other substitution all the rules apply. That is now the only spot that player may occupy in the lineup and the player who was subbed for has 1 reentry. And the reason the DP can never be in the AP position is because they are both already in the lineup. The same player can never occupy 2 places in the lineup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45