Down to...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Bonds, is swinging down combined with contracting obliques, while the kid is ttb combined with rear leg hip slip.

XRu9Pmv.gif
My own DD's problem... hip slip. Problem is, I'm having issues resolving this for her.

Nov 16, 2017
Down to is right, but it IS down to from behind. Not straight down like ARod and Pujols show . That is a feel and not a real. This IS clear. What they show the barrel stays above the hands the whole time. What they do the barrel is below the hands most of the time. Swing down, yes, but as you would hit a golf ball to drive it down the fairway not as you would kill a fly anything else you want to pound into the ground. Know the difference. Know how to make sense out of nonsense.

Watching ARod and Pujols chop down on the ball is scientific nonsense(In there demonstrations). Why?, because they don't do that. It is an enigma to those with analytical minds. You just said do this, but you are really doing this? Yep that is the way it works. You have to Jedi mind trick some players, others like Donaldson or JD M. have been taught by guys like Tewksbury and that works for them because that is the way their brain works.

You as a coach have to discern what type of player you have. A feel or a real player. Is your student a Ted Williams or an ARod, Then adjust accordingly. Ted Williams would have won me over but I would call BS to ARod or Pujols. However, I have learned that what they are telling you isn't science but art. Ted is giving you science, ARod and Pujols art. Know the difference.

May 12, 2016
Did you say “down to”, I agree. Science, real... just like all the pros I listed say, nothing Jedi about that. Combine down to, with the entire swing and appropriate body actions, then you have a winner, art and science, strike that ball, thing of beauty!!

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
My own DD's problem... hip slip. Problem is, I'm having issues resolving this for her.

Hip slip happens in every swing unless your attempting to turn the rear leg/hip relationship (no hip slip ) to power the swing while swinging around the ball. Using it (hip slip) as the source of power combined with forcing barrel turn is made up by someone whose never felt the high level pattern but attempted to duplicate through watching video and then convinced others he had a match.

xBMQtGf.gif

More for the truth seekers...

Focus on the rear arm movement.. One is attempting to ttb while the other is throwing the barrel.

vokkeCw.gif

SsykJch.gif

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Most important question which is being ignored is what were they taught (if anything) when they were 10,11,12 etc............?

Jun 8, 2016
Why do you think that is the most important question?
That is the age group most of us are working with? I guess I should have said what and HOW they were taught...
What would you say if every one of these "down to" hitters were taught different things at 10 YO (which is certainly a possibility)? What would that tell you? There are more than likely a few constants between each of them and it probably isn't their hitting instruction at age 10, 12,14, etc..

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
W
That is the age group most of us are working with? I guess I should have said what and HOW they were taught...
What would you say if every one of these "down to" hitters were taught different things at 10 YO (which is certainly a possibility)? What would that tell you? There are more than likely a few constants between each of them and it probably isn't their hitting instruction at age 10, 12,14, etc..

I willing to bet it was their instruction at 10,12,14 etc. But it needs more investigation. Regardless, most people on here aren't looking at 10,12,13 year olds and modeling swings after them

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279