Down to...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Nov 16, 2017
Well watching the last video where ARod interviews Barry he basically explains from a players perspective the feel vs real argument. He is telling you what Jedi mind trick he uses on himself to generate the swing he desires. Point is, Feel vs Real is REAL. A good coach will know both and understand both. A good coach will understand why ARod says one thing and does something else. Is it confusing?, heck yeah, especially if you are a very analytical person. However, with experience one learns to mix science and art. One knows scientifically what the swing should look like, but is willing to instruct a player to do something which scientifically sounds wrong (ie: swing straint down to the ball) if that results in the scientific ideal swing. Ted Williams laid out the science a long time ago. And for people like me the science overcomes any feel. I have to know not feel I am doing something right. A lot of players don't give 2 craps about the science and go on feel.

So to you Julray, if telling your kid to swing down gets her to swing like Sierra Romero then tell her to swing down. Focus on the end result and know the difference!!!

2nd Point, Barry talks about how the game has changed. That is a great point. The game changed from the batting perspective because pitching changed. In the good ole days a starter could pitch 7,8 innings. Starters go 5 maybe 6 now. Now we have multiple relievers throwing to maybe 2,3,4 batters. They come in and throw as hard as they can and then someone else comes in. This type of pitching leads to more strikeouts. Pitchers are going all out. With more strikeouts batters have learned that a single doesn't help you win. You need doubles, trips, and HRs to win now. The strikeouts increasing is not a pure result of "launch angle" swinging. That is a weak uneducated explanation of why strikeouts are up. Shifts and pitching have put batters in a position to do damage, real damage or sit down. Don't blame launch angle which is a stupid term to begin with, a bunt has a launch angle. Blame the change in pitching.

May 12, 2016
Well watching the last video where ARod interviews Barry he basically explains from a players perspective the feel vs real argument. He is telling you what Jedi mind trick he uses on himself to generate the swing he desires. Point is, Feel vs Real is REAL. A good coach will know both and understand both. A good coach will understand why ARod says one thing and does something else. Is it confusing?, heck yeah, especially if you are a very analytical person. However, with experience one learns to mix science and art. One knows scientifically what the swing should look like, but is willing to instruct a player to do something which scientifically sounds wrong (ie: swing straint down to the ball) if that results in the scientific ideal swing. Ted Williams laid out the science a long time ago. And for people like me the science overcomes any feel. I have to know not feel I am doing something right. A lot of players don't give 2 craps about the science and go on feel.

So to you Julray, if telling your kid to swing down gets her to swing like Sierra Romero then tell her to swing down. Focus on the end result and know the difference!!!

2nd Point, Barry talks about how the game has changed. That is a great point. The game changed from the batting perspective because pitching changed. In the good ole days a starter could pitch 7,8 innings. Starters go 5 maybe 6 now. Now we have multiple relievers throwing to maybe 2,3,4 batters. They come in and throw as hard as they can and then someone else comes in. This type of pitching leads to more strikeouts. Pitchers are going all out. With more strikeouts batters have learned that a single doesn't help you win. You need doubles, trips, and HRs to win now. The strikeouts increasing is not a pure result of "launch angle" swinging. That is a weak uneducated explanation of why strikeouts are up. Shifts and pitching have put batters in a position to do damage, real damage or sit down. Don't blame launch angle which is a stupid term to begin with, a bunt has a launch angle. Blame the change in pitching.
Hands start down on almost every swing.. feel is real when you piece it all together. One of these links lead to a Yelich video. Is Yelich an effective hitter who can slug the ball as well? One of the best all around hitters in the game, he can do it all and he wins games with his bat. He talks about pitching and how much it has evolved, 4 seam fast at 98mph. Down to and long through makes Yelich an effective hitter regardless who comes out of the dugout.

if I could get my DD to hit like Chamberlain or Sierra then she would be one the best hitters ever to play the game, so why wouldn’t anybody teach their DD to swing the bat that way

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Feel is real when you combine the down swing with the contracting obliques from a leveraged position.

XHSjeFP.gif

eyo3aMA.gif

H9gBsg4.png

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Bonds, is swinging down combined with contracting obliques, while the kid is ttb combined with rear leg hip slip.

XRu9Pmv.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28