Doubled off on fly ball..what's it called?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
So when a runner get's called out being doubled off on a fly ball, what is that technically called?

Umpire said it was a "force out" and I know that that is technically not correct. While you don't need to tag the runner, only catch the ball while touching the base similar to a force play (some of our parents did not know that, ugh) I know the rules are a bit different since if a runner legally crosses home on such a play before the 3rd out is recorded the run counts. At lest I'm 99% sure on that. While on a force out for 3rd out that is not the case, the run does not count. That I'm 100% sure on.

So what is it actually called?

Oct 24, 2010
So when a runner get's called out being doubled off on a fly ball, what is that technically called? ...

It's an appeal for leaving a base before a caught fly ball was first touched by a fielder. It's always a timing play for scoring runs.

Mar 15, 2014
It's an appeal for leaving a base before a caught fly ball was first touched by a fielder. It's always a timing play for scoring runs.
Very true-- many think this is a force play due to the fact that no tag is necessary.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
To split hairs a little bit further...

If the put out is made before the ball becomes dead or time has been called, then it is a live ball appeal.

If the put out is made after the ball is dead, then it is a dead ball appeal.

Mar 15, 2014
To split hairs a little bit further...

If the put out is made before the ball becomes dead or time has been called, then it is a live ball appeal.

If the put out is made after the ball is dead, then it is a dead ball appeal.

Once the ball is dead there is no need to throw the ball over--a verbal appeal can be made.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Once the ball is dead there is no need to throw the ball over--a verbal appeal can be made.

Yes, I understand how appeals work.

I'm not suggesting that you must throw the ball to the base for a dead ball appeal. But a dead ball appeal may be made by a fielder holding the ball and touching the base- which may again lead some to think this is a force out.

The first post doesn't specify if the ball was live or dead when the appeal was made. Since he wanted to know what this was called, I was just pointing out that it might be called two different things, depending on the timing of the appeal.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio

Yes, I understand how appeals work.

I'm not suggesting that you must throw the ball to the base for a dead ball appeal. But a dead ball appeal may be made by a fielder holding the ball and touching the base- which may again lead some to think this is a force out.

The first post doesn't specify if the ball was live or dead when the appeal was made. Since he wanted to know what this was called, I was just pointing out that it might be called two different things, depending on the timing of the appeal.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal

Thanks. In this case it was live ball. Soft line drive to SS, runner on R2 doubled off on 6-4 putout.

We had a few parents yelling something stupid like - "But she didn't even tag her, how can she be out?!?!?" I just shook my head and kept quite.

Oct 24, 2010
Thanks. In this case it was live ball. Soft line drive to SS, runner on R2 doubled off on 6-4 putout.

We had a few parents yelling something stupid like - "But she didn't even tag her, how can she be out?!?!?" I just shook my head and kept quite.

A live ball appeal can be made by tagging the runner or touching the base left early before the runner returns to the base. It looks like a force play to those who do not know. It's not, of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449