Don't swing at a change-up with less than 2 strikes?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I want to know who she is. My pitcher will grove a strike and get ahead 0-1. Coaches/pitchers she faces will know this and it will hurt her. She will be down 0-1 every time.

She is #78, somehow she lost her name which is a differentt thread, good luck with rest of pitches. :)

Not happy about it but not an Issue yet.

(By the way, I agree with you)

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2016
Sitting on a change up is an acquired skill that takes most kids a long time to develop. It requires the ability to let every other pitch go by. Many kids will never have the poise to do this.

I believe there are stages to hitting the change up.

1. You swing way to early and look silly striking out.
2. Your weight is completely shifted to your front foot and you pop out are hit a dribbler (best case scenario is a foul ball).
3. Your weight is mostly on your front foot but you have enough in the reserve to hit a single.
4. Your weight is mostly shifted but you have the ability to recognize this pitch and let it go by with less than 2 strikes.
5. You can anticipate the change up (sit on it) and actually wait long enough to put a good swing on it and bomb it out there.

In 14U there are not to many hard hit change ups. I think the batters really start to develop an eye for it in 16U.

Nov 18, 2015
Warning - clueless dad post:

As a hitter, are you actually reading “change-up”, or are you just reading “not a fastball”? Maybe I’ve never faced a good change-up? But then again, it’s probably easier to adjust at 60’ vs 40’.

Is it really an all or nothing swing? If you’re not sitting change, you won’t be able to adjust and make solid contact? (Assuming it’s a hittable pitch).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2016

As a hitter, are you actually reading “change-up”, or are you just reading “not a fastball”? Maybe I’ve never faced a good change-up? But then again, it’s probably easier to adjust at 60’ vs 40’.

Is it really an all or nothing swing? If you’re not sitting change, you won’t be able to adjust and make solid contact? (Assuming it’s a hittable pitch).

At the younger ages I have only seen a couple change-ups ever get hit hard. I have seen many singles get poked through. The change up in softball is devastating compared to baseball, because of the overall decreased reaction time for the batter. In softball you have to start the swing much earlier and be much quicker through the zone with everything. In baseball you have more time, you can have a bigger load, and you can have a longer swing (extension) through the zone. Because of the reactionary swing in softball, decreasing a pitch by 10-15 mph throws everything off. The front foot has landed and you have reached the 'point of unloading' and the ball is still 15 feet in front of you.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL

DD sees a fair amount of bad changeups which she will crush, a good changeup is a thing of beauty. DD has no chance. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812