Don’t Touch the Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
@RADcatcher, some of the kids at the 6 and 7 YOA level have never even picked up a bat. In that situation, it is impossible to get some of those kids to hit without positioning their arms a few times.

You can get them into an athletic position with verbal cues and demonstration. But, it doesn't work for arms and hands.

And, yes, I've tried verbal and demonstrations. You have 15 kids for a one hour practice. You have to teach this quickly and move on to the next kid.
Pardon there sluggers, never mind when people share there opinion,,, but your opinion cannot and does not invalidate success others already do accomplish.
Because i am speaking from experience and success!
Perhaps it takes
'Learning how to be able to instruct without physically touching other people' ;)

Yes i have instructed & coached the little kids. 6-7
Without having to pick them up. Or touch them to move their body for them. They need to learn how to do that themselves!!!!!
Deffinetly in larger group practices with time limits and clinics..
Cannot go around physically re-adjusting all participants.

Learn to use our voice and words.
Learn to use ourself as a visual example.
Learn to use another person as a physical example.
Learn ways to communicate!!!

Jun 8, 2016
Pardon there sluggers, never mind when people share there opinion,,, but your opinion cannot and does not invalidate success others already do accomplish.
Because i am speaking from experience and success!
Perhaps it takes
'Learning how to be able to instruct without physically touching other people' ;)

Yes i have instructed & coached the little kids. 6-7
Without having to pick them up.
Deffinetly in larger group practices with time limits and clinics..
Cannot go around physically re-adjusting all participants.

Learn to use our voice and words.
Learn to use ourself as a visual example.
Learn to use another person as a physical example.
Learn ways to communicate!!!
I guess you are just a better instructor than @sluggers and I, kudos :p .

As an aside, I didn't want to coach to begin with (it is hard on DW since, when I have to be at practice/games, she has to drive DD to a practice an hour away with our 3 YO and then get home way past the 3 YO's bedtime..) The only reason I did it was because my kid wouldn't have been able to play had I not volunteered. Probably going to get him into a situation from now on where I can just work with him one on one and not have to worry about him not being able to play every time we sign him up because there is no coach for his team(it already happened once). I don't deal well with fools and as a coach that seems to be a requirement...

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I will add
I guess you are just a better instructor than @sluggers and I, kudos.
Is that your added snarky sillyness??? kinda says you think this topic is worthless????
But who really knows....😎😊🤪😋🥳

....seriously have not a clue on why a parent, especially one like yourself who purposely sits in the outfield as a way of controlling outbursts (?)
would in anyway overlook how another parent may become completley unglued if another adult put their hands on their child.

imo
This is NOT only a topic of what a coach is attempting to do.
This is a topic of possible repercussions.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
....seriously have not a clue on why a parent, especially one like yourself who purposely sits in the outfield as a way of controlling outbursts (?)
Actually I don't even go to the games anymore so you are wrong.. :LOL: I sat in the OF mainly because I don't like being around most humans and in particular softball parent humans...

In the situation I mentioned, I took a 7 YO boy gently by the shoulders and guided him to the correct position..It wasn't like I lifted him up over my shoulders and dropped him on his head. Even somebody as unglued as me isn't going to view that as anything more than what was intended. Again somebody with superior instructional skills such as you may have been able to do it without touching him, unfortunately I wasn't able to.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Actually I don't even go to the games anymore so you are wrong.. :LOL:

In the situation I mentioned, I took a 7 YO boy gently by the shoulders and guided him to the correct position..It wasn't like I lifted him up over my shoulders and dropped him on his head. Even somebody as unglued as me isn't going to view that as anything more than what was intended.
And your still talking about your cute little story.
Maybe you read this topic and it reached a nerve on your actions that day...but its not about you.

Its hopefully helping others think this through.

Enjoy your day!

Jun 8, 2016
And your still tslking about your cute little story.
Maybe you perceived this topic and it reached a nerve on your actions thst day...but its not about you.
I don't see my "cute little story" being any different than @sluggers mentioning moving hands/shoulders of 6 and 7 YO, which you responded to. I've done that as well when verbal/visual instruction hasn't worked. Like I said initially, the only thing that has gone through my head when I have done that is Covid concerns. IMO, a grown man chest bumping a teenage girl is a bit different than a 46 YO man taking hold of a 6 YO boy's hands and placing them in a better position to hit..
Enjoy your day!
I'll think about it..

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately much of this comes down to changes that have happened in our society. Some of the changes are necessary, but some take it further than needed... I think everyone can agree that certain actions are inappropriate (grown man chest bumping a young girl...). The line becomes a little more distorted in regards to certain other actions (moving someone's hands when demonstrating bat grip or something...). Unfortunately, if one person finds that action inappropriate, every other person has to take that into consideration. It doesn't matter if we all agree, it's just the way it is.

What it comes down to is that there are certain people that demand that others consider their views and beliefs, while those same people completely disregard other people's views and beliefs in the process...

Jun 8, 2016
Unfortunately much of this comes down to changes that have happened in our society. Some of the changes are necessary, but some take it further than needed... I think everyone can agree that certain actions are inappropriate (grown man chest bumping a young girl...). The line becomes a little more distorted in regards to certain other actions (moving someone's hands when demonstrating bat grip or something...). Unfortunately, if one person finds that action inappropriate, every other person has to take that into consideration. It doesn't matter if we all agree, it's just the way it is.
If a parent told me they didn't want me to touch their son anymore then I would certainly respect that and not do it again.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I don't see my "cute little story" being any different than @sluggers mentioning moving hands/shoulders of 6 and 7 YO, which you responded to. I've done that as well when verbal/visual instruction hasn't worked. Like I said initially, the only thing that has gone through my head when I have done that is Covid concerns. IMO, a grown man chest bumping a teenage girl is a bit different than a 46 YO man taking hold of a 6 YO boy's hands and placing them in a better position to hit..

I'll think about it..
intersting point @pattar made in this post.
He commented the only thing he considered the "personal space issue" was because of covid.
*The point is there are already other existing reasons to consider someone else personal body space.

~ thought that was notable as far as a mindset applys to actions.

@pattar i called your story cute little story...because the kid stood on top of the plate facing the pitcher.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee