Don’t Touch the Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Back to the OP, I didn't have any coaches growing up who were exuberant in their praise, starting with my father from age 7-12 to my college coach. A nod and a golf clap was about all you got...high fives, fist bumps, chest bumps, etc....LOL. Now if you messed up, that was a different story..does throwing a basketball at your head count as touching (that wasn't my father...)? :LOL:

Mar 6, 2016
Ahhh...I miss the "good ol days" when I was 7 or 8 and a grown man in tight BIKE shorts would yank my head around by the facemask (football) and "steer" me to the exact position he wanted me to run and try and de-cleat the other 7 yr old and then spit Red Man "juice" on my new white cleats.

Good times! ;)

Jun 8, 2016
Ahhh...I miss the "good ol days" when I was 7 or 8 and a grown man in tight BIKE shorts would yank my head around by the facemask (football) and "steer" me to the exact position he wanted me to run and try and de-cleat the other 7 yr old and then spit Red Man "juice" on my new white cleats.

Good times! ;)
Those were the “ol days” for sure....😉

Mar 6, 2016
Although, I do NOT miss the short BIKE shorts every coach in America wore back in the 70s and 80s. YIKES!!! That was something 7 and 8 yr olds did NOT need to see. o_O

Apr 8, 2021
Fresno, CA
Chest bumping players is a bit extreme, whether a male or female coach.
I agree with your sentiment of not touching the players. I'm soon to be 21 and I've helped coach my little brother's travel teams since he was 10 and I've always kept it to just handshakes, high fives and fist bumps. Sometimes my brother and I do the elbow thing that football players do but that's just my brother. If I ever have to physically move a player I've always asked for their permission. I usually keep to those rules.

I also have a younger sister, 14 years old shortstop and catcher and when I work with her I keep the same rules. Sometimes she will invite her teammates to come and get groundballs and take BP with us and when I work with them I usually just keep it to fist bumps. Sometimes when they leave some of them will come in for that side hug thing, and I usually just step back and extend my fist. It can a little awkward but I but have to explain to the girls that I just do fist bumps and their usually ok with it. Mind you these are 14 and 15 year old girls I'm working with and I'm only 20, so I usually try to be extra respectful and careful.

Jul 5, 2016
Although, I do NOT miss the short BIKE shorts every coach in America wore back in the 70s and 80s. YIKES!!! That was something 7 and 8 yr olds did NOT need to see. o_O

And boys' and men's basketball from the 70's - practically wearing hot pants.

May 20, 2015
DD had a female Catching/Hitting coach. She would ask permission before she touched her to help her with positioning.

always

i was never shy with high fives.......i always had girls initiate hugs here and there at trophy presentations at tournies, but never initiated contact beyond high fives

and always asked permission when initiating contact that dealt with positioning......whether it was young girls at clinics or my girls at practice....sometimes it IS the best way, but i don't want anyone touching me without my permission, why do it to anyone else?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
DD had a female Catching/Hitting coach. She would ask permission before she touched her to help her with positioning.

Can't believe it took to page 3 for this.

I am very hands off in a literal way (just high fives, maybe a quick pat on the helmet), but if some sort of repositioning is needed and they just can't get there, I will ask "can I move your arm?" or something like that. It's rare, only when verbal/visual instruction isn't quite working, and I always get their permission. Also, this never happens in an alone situation. There's always another coach or other players or someone else nearby.

May 20, 2015
on a side note, i went and watched 3 former players in a schoolball game yesterday......one ran up with a hug....it was a very quick/barely touch i'm sweaty and gross and you aren't but i'm happy you came to watch us did you see my HR sort of thing, but.........

Jun 8, 2016
Can't believe it took to page 3 for this.

I am very hands off in a literal way (just high fives, maybe a quick pat on the helmet), but if some sort of repositioning is needed and they just can't get there, I will ask "can I move your arm?" or something like that. It's rare, only when verbal/visual instruction isn't quite working, and I always get their permission. Also, this never happens in an alone situation. There's always another coach or other players or someone else nearby.
Didn't ask permission..looks like I need to go on the lam. Nice knowing everybody..If anybody gets a postcard, don't bother writing back to that location..I won't be in one spot for very long...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom