Dome-ball is here!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
I'm assuming dome ball is indoors, some form of dome large enough for full infield. How is long, deep etc handled. Pop up hits ceiling, crushed ball hr outside, hits shortened "fence"?

JohnnyO

Began this habit in 1980
May 13, 2015
Midwest
Dome ball is typically over top of a artificial turf soccer field or football field in Minnesota. Two ball fields are developed in opposite corners with center field fences coming within 20 or 30' of each other. Not sure the outfield fence dimensions but they are fairly close to spec. Do to roof pop ups in front of pitcher usually hit ceiling but the rest is fairly high and does not matter too much. Our good hitters have hit homeruns into the opposing field but it takes a good poke.

Mar 7, 2012
PA
We just played our first dome tourney a few weeks ago. Still not sure how I feel about it. The rules were if it hit the dome top in the infield it was replayed (no ball/no strike nothing) beyond the infield play it live.the place we were at had fencing in Center field (because that's where the entrance was) but Right and left were open and parents could sit there other team warm up there ect.

All in all it was a fun experience but I don't know that I would pay for it again next year (here in PA USSSA charges about $750 for a 1 day 3gg and gives you 1 ump). We are scheduled to play in one more that isn't classified and cost a lot less at a state of the art facility, maybe that will change my mind.

Jun 16, 2015
Ugh - we have an indoor tournament next weekend. It's in a hangar and it is far colder indoors than out. Not particularly looking forward to it.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
My DD's use to play at the old Wichita Mustangs indoor facility. Full size indoor SB field, high ceiling, and practice areas with no obstructions. They had a white tape line in the roof netting over the infield and a ball hit inside the square was an out since it more than likely was an infield pop up. Hit the roof net in the outfield and it was in play which made for some interesting hits. Going there was nice and they always hosted a fun weekend. To bad they had to sell the building.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
DD 3's team had a chance to play in a Dome tournament in the Wisconsin Dells a few weeks ago. DD 3 couldn't play, because she had finals starting right after the tournament, and it was her first HS finals ever. That put the team in a position they couldn't play that tournament.

So. DD 3 has never played indoors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802