Does your Daughter have a Job?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2019
Pay her for good grades, or help around the house (ie chores). She's earning money, she keeps focus in the areas that are most important. What, most part time jobs pay say $9/hr. With her schedule of ball and school, whats a realistic number of hours she could actually work, 10-15. That's bringing home around $100/wk at most and while her school/sports/and any slight bit of downtime all suffer. Figure out a way to keep her focused on priorities.

Mar 8, 2016
I am going to take the other side of this discussion. DD got her first job this summer at 17. She was an assistant working different rooms at a daycare. She learned the responsibility of showing up for a job and the value of money. She also got a ton of responsibility put on her. It was great to see her growth. Our conversations in the evenings totally changed. I got to see her "adulting". I have been very proud of her softball accomplishments but i cannot think of a better thing to have happened to her than this job. Did she hit a little less at home than in past summers? Yes she did. I still wouldn't have traded it for anything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Lots of approaches to this and every kid and their family is unique. Open communication and setting expectations is key. Don't be afraid to ask your kids to set up a cash flow statement/budget (and I even ask them to do net worth statements). Most adults don't even do this and most school systems are not doing a great job teaching personal finance. Sure, there's going to be some zeros on the ledger but isn't that part of the process? I feel they need to know the trade offs and the bottom line score. Once they see what the monetary outlay is for softball they may realize they are in a pretty high paying job already! Or, as has been pointed out, getting a job (outside the house) may just be the dose of reality they need. Either way, it's a good life lesson and practice for adulthood. If you've never done a budget or net worth statement there are plenty of good examples out there online....or ask your financial advisor.

Feb 7, 2016
Appreciate all the feedback and perspectives! Lots to chew on for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
IMO, having a job as a teenager is an important part of their overall experience growing up. It's also is asked about on college and scholarship applications. I've seen too many kids who play ball, that's all they do, and when that's done, they don't look nearly as impressive as those who've also done other things. Yes, it's a challenge balancing that and softball, but working in the off-season and perhaps NOT trying to do something softball related EVERY DAY is just what most need. It's not just about earning some spending money, but about learning how hard many work just to earn a living who may not have made the best life choices. The importance of working hard in school, and the rewards that often come to those who do, is a much easier sell after an eight hour shift working fast food.

Apr 16, 2013
My DD is 16 and has a seasonal job. It's worked out extremely well, as it's a retail store that my wife is a mgr at. My son works there around 20 hours a week and my daughter came on a few weeks ago at around 10 hours. Once the holidays are over they'll be let go. She's a straight A student and makes time for her workouts 4x days a week 2 hours each workout. She always rides with my wife or son to work so it worked out great. She's learned a lot about balancing her time and accepting little free time on some days.

Nov 27, 2012
My daughter gives pitching lessons and has a group of 5 regulars. She loves what she does and gets paid for it. She makes enough money for gas and spending money.

Sep 17, 2009
IMO, having a job as a teenager is an important part of their overall experience growing up. It's also is asked about on college and scholarship applications. I've seen too many kids who play ball, that's all they do, and when that's done, they don't look nearly as impressive as those who've also done other things. Yes, it's a challenge balancing that and softball, but working in the off-season and perhaps NOT trying to do something softball related EVERY DAY is just what most need. It's not just about earning some spending money, but about learning how hard many work just to earn a living who may not have made the best life choices. The importance of working hard in school, and the rewards that often come to those who do, is a much easier sell after an eight hour shift working fast food.
In high school my DD played two high school sports, two travel sports and worked for good grades. She didn't have a job. My wife always wanted her to but I argued she had enough on her plate. I think I was wrong in that as some have said above the job teaches them things they don't learn elsewhere. When she got to college, she started working a bit and I can see the benefits. There's definitely a time-crunch/time-management aspect to layering on a part-time job, but if they can make it work I think it's beneficial -- beyond getting a bit of gas/Starbucks money.

Dec 11, 2010
Keep in mind the things a job can represent to a hs kid- the freedom to have a little money in their pocket that is THEIRS. Some control over their own destiny. The chance to be a "normal" hs kid. Maybe even just a change in scenery.

I hated the idea of dd getting a job because it got in the way of softball. I was wrong. It's a long story but a waitress job in a small town cafe helped dd get her love for the game back. It might be why a kid who thought she didn't want to play college softball will stay in the game- and for all the right reasons.

Mar 2, 2019
My DD is 13 and she umps in the local rec league 2 days a week in the spring/summer. When I go pick her up I bring her bag and a bucket of balls and she hits 5 or 6 buckets.
Ditto. Both of my daughters have made a lot of money umpiring, and it is a good-paying job that fits around their other commitments. My older daughter was able to buy her own iPhone and laptop before she left for college all with money from umpiring! It teaches them a lot about the game and gives them (and you!) much more respect for the umpires in their own games.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449