Does your Daughter have a Job?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Ditto. Both of my daughters have made a lot of money umpiring, and it is a good-paying job that fits around their other commitments. My older daughter was able to buy her own iPhone and laptop before she left for college all with money from umpiring! It teaches them a lot about the game and gives them (and you!) much more respect for the umpires in their own games.
Sounds like a good idea..I can go to her games and yell at her in the guise of getting on the ump "Stop flipping your glove!!", "Stop backpedaling on popups!!" "Control your move out!!" I might get some funny looks but it would be worth it.. :LOL:

Jun 10, 2018
NY
Its really healthy and beneficial to do things that have nothing to do with softball. Sounds like your girl wants to get a job! Let her get one! So much to be learned in that setting, confidence to be gained from navigating the work environment and the people in it. Those are skills she will always benefit from.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
DD is 16. Pizza shop last summer, and Old Navy this Winter, now that HS volleyball is over.

Was very motivated to earn her own $$$ last summer and buy a car.

Bonus: she can now drive herself to sball practice?

Oct 16, 2019
I think kids should have jobs. It teaches them life balance, responsibility and how to interact with others that are not just peers. I own several restaurants and my daughter and my son work as hostess/host at my location in our town. We employ a lot of H.S. kids and most are in sports and we work around their schedules. Once H.S. softball/baseball starts they won't work much if at all, but during the summer and fall/winter they work as much as they can around practices and other activities. Have your daughter look into a job like that as most restaurants will work around their schedule.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My daughter has been hinting at wanting to find a job. She’ll be 16 in January and will have her license soon after. We’re not sure how to balance a job with all the softball commitments we’ll have (School ball starts in February and Travel ball will pick up when School ball ends in late spring).

She doesn’t need to work but wants to have spending cash and money for gas if she needs it. She actually said she doesn’t want to have to ask us for money all the time. Really level headed kid!

Looking for ideas, experience or advice from other families and how their daughters balanced working a part time job with school and softball. If it came down to choosing, I’d support her focusing on school and softball and we’d figure out how she could earn gas/spending cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If she has time for a job she is not giving 100% to school or softball. Assuming she wants to play college ball she needs to evaluate her priorities and make some decisions.

May 27, 2013
Dd helped a softball instructor run clinics for 10U girls two days per week 2 years ago. In turn, the training facility allowed her to use their batting cages and turf area for pitching free of charge while she helped out. That was a great deal.

The last two years she’s just had no time between the amount of school work she has plus sports.

ez_softball

Life at the diamond...
Apr 14, 2017
Although, I understand the merits of having a job (heck I worked 2 jobs through most of HS) my daughter that is a senior in HS has focused on school and softball. Our message has been that school is her work and softball is what she does. That plan has worked well for us but it might not be for everyone. We have told her that if something were to happen with softball and she wasn't playing any longer that she then would have the time to get a part-time job to help pay for her expenses. My son who is an 8th grader will have a similar message and my guess is that he'll be working a part-time job over being involved with athletics year round.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom