Does the riseball really rise???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Geneva, Switzerland
Well, if you dont believe it actually rises (if you throw it correctly), try linining up your nose 2 inches above your glove which is placed on a straight line trajectory of the ball and let us know the result. What a lot of physics discussions cant handle properly is the turbulence around the ball as it moves into the breeze.

May 7, 2008
This question has been going on for ages. My answer, yes it rises. I put a string about 10 feet in front of a pitcher. The string was 3 foot high. I put another string just in front of the catcher with a string over 4 foot high. The object was to pitch the ball under the first string and make it go over the higher string when it gets to the catcher. The pitcher I used is at UCLA now.
Ernie

May 27, 2008
This question has been going on for ages. My answer, yes it rises.

Ok .. step right up, argue with Ernie Parker. Go ahead. :)

Good to see you posting Ernie. I hope you're in good health and happy in Tennessee.

The bottom line here folks isn't whether it rises or not it's how effective of a pitch is it and where can your daughter learn to throw it properly. My daughters rise has hit good experienced catchers square in the mask because it went over their gloves and they missed it. It doesn't prove it rose or not. It proved that if it can fool an experienced, Gold level catcher it will likely fool a hitter. Works for me.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
While the physics of this is interesting, it doesn't matter whether it rises or not. The riseball strikes out a lot of batters.

JRW

May 12, 2008
Well, if you dont believe it actually rises (if you throw it correctly), try linining up your nose 2 inches above your glove which is placed on a straight line trajectory of the ball and let us know the result. What a lot of physics discussions cant handle properly is the turbulence around the ball as it moves into the breeze.

This has all been covered before. The brain expects a drop and interprets a lesser drop as a rise.

May 12, 2008
This question has been going on for ages. My answer, yes it rises. I put a string about 10 feet in front of a pitcher. The string was 3 foot high. I put another string just in front of the catcher with a string over 4 foot high. The object was to pitch the ball under the first string and make it go over the higher string when it gets to the catcher. The pitcher I used is at UCLA now.
Ernie

You would actually need three strings to prove the ball curved upward from it's original trajectory or firmly establish the release point height in relation to the line from one string to the other. Which proof I would be delighted to see. I really want the ball to actually be doing what my eyes say it is doing.

Will you be back at Spring Klein again this fall Ernie?

May 12, 2008
The bottom line here folks isn't whether it rises or not it's how effective of a pitch is it and where can your daughter learn to throw it properly. My daughters rise has hit good experienced catchers square in the mask because it went over their gloves and they missed it. It doesn't prove it rose or not. It proved that if it can fool an experienced, Gold level catcher it will likely fool a hitter. Works for me.

Exactly. It rises in reference to the hitter's expectation and that is all that matters. Baseball players struggle with the ball that spins down since they are more used to seeing balls that spin up. Softball players struggle with balls that spin up since they are more used to seeing balls that spin down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28