Does Size Matter (org size)?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
National Franchise (200+ teams)
Regional Franchise (100-199 teams)
Mid-size org (11-99 teams)
Small org (2-10 teams)
Independents

Are there really orgs out there with 200+ teams? Even Batbusters lists about 110 (quick scan math :geek:). I would imagine that there is no such thing as any overriding quality control or even coaching philosophy over so sprawling an organization. If there is any advantage to being affiliated with a top-level organization that has college contacts, how would you even stand out among the 1500+ players that they're representing?

I do see advantages to what you list as small to midsize. DD's org has 12 teams at different age levels, and we do have org-wide practices and the coaches mostly seem to be on the same page with the head of the organization who has many college contacts. He has also worked directly with all of the kids in the program and could make a personal recommendation as part of the recruiting process. The upper-level teams seem to have no problem getting into the larger showcase events in our area as well as Florida. As pattar rightly pointed out, having access to the top tournaments and showcases around the country doesn't do you much good if you're only considering schools within driving distance.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Are there really orgs out there with 200+ teams? Even Batbusters lists about 110 (quick scan math :geek:). I would imagine that there is no such thing as any overriding quality control or even coaching philosophy over so sprawling an organization. If there is any advantage to being affiliated with a top-level organization that has college contacts, how would you even stand out among the 1500+ players that they're representing?

I believe Firecrackers has over 200. The only things consistent in FC is the name on the front of the jersey and the Red/White/Black color scheme. In the last 5 years, we have seen FC teams that range from among the best in the country to really terrible, and coaches to match.

Oct 19, 2019
As pattar rightly pointed out, having access to the top tournaments and showcases around the country doesn't do you much good if you're only considering schools within driving distance.

One of my favorite softball conversations I've ever had was with a parent of a kid who my kid played high school ball with.

The girl's older sister was playing in college. The dad was telling me something about "Yeah! We went to California, Florida, Texas, Colorado. They played all over. It paid off too. All of the kids are playing in college now. One is at Miami, one is at Kent State, 2 are at Akron, one is at Ohio University."

I pointed out that the furthest school he listed was 3 hours from where they all lived and that it was kind of pointless to travel tens of thousands of miles a year to go to college down the street.

The smile left his face and he said "I never really thought about that..."

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One of my favorite softball conversations I've ever had was with a parent of a kid who my kid played high school ball with.

The girl's older sister was playing in college. The dad was telling me something about "Yeah! We went to California, Florida, Texas, Colorado. They played all over. It paid off too. All of the kids are playing in college now. One is at Miami, one is at Kent State, 2 are at Akron, one is at Ohio University."

I pointed out that the furthest school he listed was 3 hours from where they all lived and that it was kind of pointless to travel tens of thousands of miles a year to go to college down the street.

The smile left his face and he said "I never really thought about that..."

I hear what you're saying. However, I see a lot of coaches from all over the country at top-level events in CA. One example...Last summer, one of our games at PGF Nationals was being watched by coaches from Oregon, Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue...and Patty Gasso! They were most interested in a player on the team from GA that we were playing. I have seen a wide range of coaches at plenty of other CA events, as well as events in CO and NV.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So how do you stop this from happening? Is there teams/org. that has a goal or mission to get girls into local D2, D3 or Juco and don't travel all over? I would be very interested in that type of approach.

Jul 22, 2015
So how do you stop this from happening? Is there teams/org. that has a goal or mission to get girls into local D2, D3 or Juco and don't travel all over? I would be very interested in that type of approach.

Absolutely. You just have to ask. Our team has this focus because we all learned very quickly that there is no need to travel across the country if you don't intend to play there.

Oct 19, 2019
Funny story about "exposure."

A kid on a team my kid played on went to play for one of the "bigs.

You didn't try out for this org at that time. No idea how it works now, but at that time the guy who ran it called you and offered a spot. I listened to him, told him thanks but no thanks, and that was that.

The parent who did accept a spot kept calling and texting.

"You've gotta get her over here. There are 10 scouts watching every game. 20 or more if ole Sally Strongarm is pitching."

I stopped answering him after a few weeks of that.

Then one fine day a nice guy I knew from PA with a nice little team of kids called me and asked if my kid would come and play one weekend. He told me his team was in the same pool as this "big" that we turned down.

So we went.

Ole Sally Strongarm was in the circle for the big game.

I scanned the crowd and I kept walking through all during the game.

1 --- that's 1, as in 1, not 18 and I forgot the 8, 1 --- college coach or scout or whatever walked up to the fence and grabbed a sheet out of the box.

He looked at it, then put it back in the box, watched 2 at bats, then walked away.

He worked for D3 Mt Union here in Ohio. The cat that wears the purple cammo duster type hat for anyone in Ohio.

Oct 19, 2019

I can only tell you what we did.

She made a list of schools and started sending email with video clips early.

12 maybe.

Maybe earlier.

At 14 she went to 4 or 5 camps of the ones she really wanted to go to and kept on with the email.

At 15 they really started showing up.

That's all I can really tell you about it.

That's all it took.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802