Does Size Matter in S.B.?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Does size matter in S.B.?

Recently on the forum have read in different discussions people refferencing the size, (height) as a reasoning for those players talent levels.
Which promted this post.

What i really like about softball is~
Examples of talent come in all shapes and forms.

When i started thinking of all the athletes throughout the years playing different positions...while there maybe skillsets that certain positions require.
Height or not never seemed to hold back talent even at the top D1 levels.

These two D1 coaches, outstanding athletes, both could be considered petite and about 5'4"
While playing, each helped bring their teams to several college world series appearances!
Kelly Inouye- catcher
Kim Sowder- shortstop

Have D1 catchers playing
1. height 5'10" at 200lbs
2. height 5'3 at 130lbs

Softball is a sport for everyone!

What are your impressions?
Please share examples of talent that have made an impression on you!!!

GO SOFTBALL !

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
My DD used to catch. She was (until recently) always the smallest player on her team (by far). She was short and skinny and looked like we never fed her. When she would come out geared up you could see some umpires cringe. But she was amazing. She has had numerous umpires congratulate her after games telling her they had never been so well protected. She had one umpire give her a special pin because he was so impressed with her (she still keeps it on her bag). And one year at the Sparkler she had an umpire nearly pick her up he was so excited when she threw down a speedster from her knees. He pounded her helmet so many times I thought her ears would ring for days. We continue to see him each year (3 yrs since) - and each year he spots her and says - "there's my favorite catcher". She did have to break his heart last year when she told him she is an outfielder now. She has had at least 2 opposing coaches search her out in the parking lot and give her kudos.

Size absolutely doesn't matter - it's all about heart!

May 7, 2015
SoCal
No, size is not the ultimate decider. Yes, size will get an athlete noticed faster, especially in a group try out. In our organization, there is a TINY (like 80lbs small) 2B player that was called up to the big team as a 2nd yr 14u. She is amazing, so fast, works incredibly hard, just an all around bad rear.

However, the rest of the team are pretty giant sized girls. If you look across the big teams, I'd say the average height would be 5'7" or so??? Size generally enables a player to swing and throw harder, and these attributes are what teams are looking for.

Jun 8, 2016
The average weight of an MLB player is roughly 207 pounds, and the average height is about 74 inches (or 6 feet 2 inches)
The average American male 20 years old and up weighs 197.9 pounds and the average height is just over 5 feet 9.

Of course this is baseball so take it for what its worth..

Oct 4, 2018
Yup. Size and strength helps in sports. Some sports (basketball, football) more than others.

Yes, it can be overcome with hard work, talent, heart, skill.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Size often brings strength, if not athleticism. I think there's more of a window for smaller players in women's softball than baseball. Softball is a game of speed, and smaller girls are more likely to be faster. DD's teammates aren't huge, and no one is fat, but most are bigger than the average teenage girl. I lose track of that sometimes until I run into DD's non-softball playing friends. DD's smaller teammates are closer to "average" height for their age, but they are very fast and strong for their size.

May 1, 2018
I look at it as roles on the team:
First baseman - I don't want a tiny girl here. Why cause its a small catchable area.
Pretty much every where else defensively is ability over size.
Batting: Obviously taking into account that girls have the same skill level batting, A Stronger girl will have an advantage.
Base Running: My daughter is a bigger stronger girl, but is slow. My "little" girls are fast as hell. Thank you DP/flex

So you have to weigh what there skill level are vs needs of the team. Not based on just size alone.

Jun 8, 2016
DD's teammates aren't huge, and no one is fat, but most are bigger than the average teenage girl.
So yes size matters..when size was mentioned I was assuming large was bigger than an averaged size girl. On average I would guess, just like in MLB, that D1 softball players are larger than average sized 18-22 YO girls.

If we are looking at 2 softball players of different sizes/weights you need to look at what they can do on the field...right? That doesn't seem too difficult but who knows...Statistically if one does this, if the sample size is large enough, the result will likely be what I mentioned.

All that said, at the end of the day who cares..I say this a lot on here but control what you can control.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
My daughter is 11 years old, 4' 6", and is 70 lbs soaking wet. She is almost always the smallest girl on the field and I LOVE the looks of the other teams/coaches when they see her throwing (pitching) mid-40's. Not looks of intimidation, they are looks of impressiveness and respect. She appreciates the compliments of opposing HC's as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood