Does Run Count

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 18, 2016
ok...in my 10U game tonight we were up by allot. Bases loaded, two outs. Batter hits a pop fly, 2nd base misses the pop fly, but our runner on 1st didn't go to 2nd right away. Girl on third crosses plate and a few seconds later the runner from 1st to 2nd is tagged out.

We're awarded the run. Other coach tries to argue with the umpire that it was a force out and that run doesn't count. Umpire argued back that it was a tag, not a force so the run counts.

I sat back and ate my seeds.

What's the correct ruling?

Thanks
Dave

Jun 19, 2019
ok...in my 10U game tonight we were up by allot. Bases loaded, two outs. Batter hits a pop fly, 2nd base misses the pop fly, but our runner on 1st didn't go to 2nd right away. Girl on third crosses plate and a few seconds later the runner from 1st to 2nd is tagged out.

We're awarded the run. Other coach tries to argue with the umpire that it was a force out and that run doesn't count. Umpire argued back that it was a tag, not a force so the run counts.

I sat back and ate my seeds.

What's the correct ruling?

Thanks
Dave
Out. Even though she tagged her, it was still a force out as long as if it were before she got to 2nd.

Jun 12, 2015
Force out at 2B (whether she was actually tagged or got out at 2B doesn't matter), run doesn't count, I believe.

Jun 22, 2008
This was just covered 4 posts down. Any time a runner that is forced is put out before reaching the next base it is a force out regardless of how they are put out.

Jul 24, 2013
these are interesting threads. the "girl was tagged therefore not a force" is a HUUUUGE softball Myth in our regional leagues.

this is for sure something I will emphasize with my umps going forward.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom