Does anyone train with a wooden bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I like the idea of training with a wooden bat and I was wondering if any of you do that at all?

If so, I'm particularly interested in whether you have found some bats to be better than others re: durability? Most are made for baseball and I don't think will hold up well under the stress of the heavier softball being pitched at fairly high velocities.

I had DD (15) in the cage hitting with a 31" louisville slugger (her normal bat length is 32") and it cracked after several hits in the first session. the balls are the soft ones (Juggs lite flight?) not the hard dimpled ones.

It may be that at her level they will keep breaking and that I should limit the wooden bat practices to my U12 players.

any thoughts?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Whats the benefit of the wood bat? Is it the weight?

If its the weight I would buy a cheap metal fastpitch bat at the weight you want and use it.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
No it's a combination of factors- one is the weight but more importantly you have to hit the ball correctly with a wooden bat. if you don't make good contact it shows and the batter feels it. metal bats forgive a myriad of problems where wood forgives nothing.

Oct 19, 2009
No it's a combination of factors- one is the weight but more importantly you have to hit the ball correctly with a wooden bat. if you don't make good contact it shows and the batter feels it. metal bats forgive a myriad of problems where wood forgives nothing.

I agree with above statement thought about using this product.

MetalWood Bats Home

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Peppers-
DD got a Metalwood bat for Christmas and we have been to the cages twice. It's working great - thank you!

Oct 19, 2009
Glad I could help we use a number of devices in practice from Mentalwood bats to baseballs, plactic balls, tennis balls. Look in pet supplies sometimes you can find different size tennis balls to work with from softball size that are weighted balls to golf ball size balls. I'm always looking to give my DD and the kids an advantage!!!!!!

Peppers-
DD got a Metalwood bat for Christmas and we have been to the cages twice. It's working great - thank you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee