Does anyone have experience using the Power Drive?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2018
I was talking with some other coaches the other day about pitching and mentioned that my daughter was struggling to really engage her lower half when pitching. One of the guys mentioned that a player on his team who was having a similar problem had started using the Power Drive and was improving a ton. I don't have a problem buying things, but I am always leery of things that could be gimmicks. Watching some videos it seems decent, but I tend to trust opinions around here. So has anyone used it? Know someone who has? Opinions on it?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I was talking with some other coaches the other day about pitching and mentioned that my daughter was struggling to really engage her lower half when pitching. One of the guys mentioned that a player on his team who was having a similar problem had started using the Power Drive and was improving a ton. I don't have a problem buying things, but I am always leery of things that could be gimmicks. Watching some videos it seems decent, but I tend to trust opinions around here. So has anyone used it? Know someone who has? Opinions on it?

It is isn't bad,, but the Queen of the Hill is even better. If yuo are going to spend money this is probably a better choice.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Our high school coach bought one. I wasn't impressed. The girls weren't getting all that many reps on it so that may be part of it. It seemed awkward for them to try to develop mechanics when one foot was starting 4" higher than the other. Then when they have to actually pitch, they are back to their feet being at the same level. But on the flip side, Amanda Scarborough endorses it and I am in complete awe of her knowledge and abilities.
I have had more success getting younger kids to leg drive with a piece of tape on the mat. I have them get in a push-up position with toes on the rubber, then I put my finger on the mat and say "There's your height, plus 6 inches. That's where I want your stride to reach." and then put the piece of tape there. That personalizes it so they buy in that it's "their" goal. I have them take some dry strides, then throw short distance into a Bownet so they're not worried about hitting a target, just concentrating on improving their stride. At first they don't come anywhere close to the tape, but as they keep working, they notice they are getting closer and that is encouraging for them. I verbally reinforce to drive hard, so soon that becomes part of the mantra, "Drive hard, throw hard." Finally part of the "homework" I issue is doing lunges in between sessions.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
If a training aid needs a bunch of paid endorsements, it usually isn't any good. Most training aids aren't very useful.

For this purpose it may be just as good to measure your stride length. Two giant steps is your height.

Srheebner

Savannah Heebner
Aug 15, 2019
Houston Tx

In my personal opinion when I played in college, I used the power drive and absolutely loved using it, it has helped me engange what my lower half should feel like when driving off the rubber. Another thing that pitchers can do is start in a lunge position and drive our into there motion from there, it is hard to do and they may be sore afterwards, but it really helps with leg drive as well,

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
In my personal opinion when I played in college, I used the power drive and absolutely loved using it, it has helped me engange what my lower half should feel like when driving off the rubber. Another thing that pitchers can do is start in a lunge position and drive our into there motion from there, it is hard to do and they may be sore afterwards, but it really helps with leg drive as well,
So when you used the power drive, did it feel like you were isolating or concentrating the drive into the driving leg? My DD did a lot of lunge position reps/flamingo drives where the stride leg just seemed to be along for the ride while the drive leg did most/all of the work.

Nov 29, 2009
There is guy who has a reputation of being a "good" piching insructor in my area. He's a gadget guy. If there's something new out he's buying it. He bought a power drive when they first came out. I watched him having the girls he was working with do run through's off of yhe power drive. Not walk through's. Full running speed. I was waiting for the day when one of his students wrecked an ankle or knee doing that.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Not a fan. I've run into a handful of folks with them, but most either got sold on eBay or collect dust. I think if you could get one cheap, it would be a fun way to break up a routine.

I'm not a gadget guy, but I do think a good working RevFire, DK ball, a Pocket Radar, Tincher balls and a QOTH are pretty good tools.

Last edited:

Srheebner

Savannah Heebner
Aug 15, 2019
Houston Tx
So when you used the power drive, did it feel like you were isolating or concentrating the drive into the driving leg? My DD did a lot of lunge position reps/flamingo drives where the stride leg just seemed to be along for the ride while the drive leg did most/all of the work.
Yes, I did isolate my leg more and was driving out with my drive leg and what it should feel like is when the pitcher pushes off the power drive there should be a snap of when the plate hits the bottom, if it doesn't snap down then they are not utilizing their legs and the push that they need to achieve. However, I have never seen someone having their stride leg "along for the ride" as you put it. your stride leg still needs to raise up an out, out of the initial drive and when they land it needs to be a strong resistance against your body to have the force of your body behind it throwing the ball.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I have one with a ton of dust on it.... Yes, it'll get you into more of a sprinters posture, but that's about it...
I do however recommend the Queen of the hill. It really forces her to drive and not simply reach outward. The biggest bonus with it is the fact its adjustable...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802