Do your players really hit >.600?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I'm sure a few can manage this level...

Only time DD had an Avg over .600 is when they kept her at JV Sophomore year because Varsity was so stacked.
Sophomore on JV: .711 avg, .723 obp, 1.092 slg and 1.815 obs
As a junior on Varsity: .465 avg, .476 obp, .614 slg, 1.090 obs
COVID got her Senior year :(

Travel @ PGA level 16/18u: .375 to .519, probably averaging mid .400s

All about competition level
Just out of curiosity how many ROEs in those stats?

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
I am the scorekeeper for daughter's high school team. I am also the scorekeeper for her travel team. The highest average for a player on her hs team was .450 and daughter was in the low .300's. As I've stated in many other threads - she hits atrocious in high school. In her travel season she is hitting probably in the .400's. In 12 games at IDT against truly stellar competition she hit .495 and she hit 1.000 against NE Gold National. I have seen the opposite among many other players on her team - girls who were all state with batting averages above .500 in HS and can't hit .200 in travel - I think that is way more common that what we see Haley do for sure.

I'm a pretty tough scorekeeper so maybe that is why the high school team batting averages were lower. I probably didn't do our players any favors when it came to all district, region and state selections.
In my experience, team scorekeepers (often parents) are either extremely generous, just don't know what they are doing, or are dishonest. I've seen routine fly balls that fell out of a fielder's glove scored as doubles. If you are a tough scorekeeper, you might be in the minority, but you are doing it right.

Feb 24, 2022
We are averaging 5.7 ROE per 100 ABs. I think our GC scorekeeper is pretty fair/accurate.

For example, my daughter hit one in the gap this weekend and the center fielder and right fielder collided (hardest collision I've ever seen in person) and the ball dropped. Was rightfully scored an error and not a triple. Luckily, the girls were ok. But that is the type of play that a "normal" parent would probably incorrectly score a triple. But, I do agree, that there are lots of inflated BA's because of poor scoring and ROE is a good barometer of the type of scoring the team is doing.

Aug 6, 2013
In my experience, team scorekeepers (often parents) are either extremely generous, just don't know what they are doing, or are dishonest. I've seen routine fly balls that fell out of a fielder's glove scored as doubles. If you are a tough scorekeeper, you might be in the minority, but you are doing it right.
I consume most of the scoring threads in this forum. I try to pay attention to what the scoring is like on the multitude of college games I watch on ESPN+ and although I am the "official" scorekeeper - I always have a partner for both HS and travel and we consult and talk through plays. If I don't have someone there like that then my husband is also a good person to ask, but I do always try to ask someone knowledgeable about the game what their thoughts were on a play. If I am given that scoring responsibility I try and do my very best - I don't think the coaches really care because they have their own thoughts about plays but it is important to me anyway :)

Apr 6, 2021
I've been coaching HS varsity Softball for 22 years. won 4 conference Championships and have been to the state Tournament 20 times. I've only had one player ever hit 600 and that player went on to play D-3 softball. There are no official scorebooks so what I may consider and out/error another coach may state it is a hit. Without a neutral score book who knows what a player actually hits

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45