Do you wish your DD never started playing softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I wish my DD never played softball and she is only 10. I want to learn how to be a good softball parent. I am wondering as a parent, what I could do or NOT do in order to make DD have a better time with a team. Or it is not me or even DD? There was nothing we could do?

We experienced about 80% of what OP mentioned in the first post. We left a team. I wish DD never played.

Is your DD having fun playing the game? This should always be the first question/concern.

Jul 31, 2015
I wish my DD never played softball and she is only 10. I want to learn how to be a good softball parent. I am wondering as a parent, what I could do or NOT do in order to make DD have a better time with a team. Or it is not me or even DD? There was nothing we could do?

We experienced about 80% of what OP mentioned in the first post. We left a team. I wish DD never played.

Great questions. Sorry you've had troubles.
Tough for your DD to get off to a rough start.

We had a similar experience at 10U...parent coach with wildly inappropriate expectations, behavior, and limited knowledge of SB creating a negative atmosphere (read: baseball dad with played in college who had daughters, no sons, now trying to relive their glory days through 8- and 9-year old girls).

It sounds like you did your part as a parent, having her leave that team. Good job.

Is she still playing?

First rule of softball: DD has to want to play and view it as fun.

Second rule of softball: follow your DD's lead.

Apr 11, 2016
baseball dad with played in college who had daughters, no sons, now trying to relive their glory days through 8- and 9-year old girls
Sounds like a guy on DD's 8U softball team. He was walking around as the "local hero" who played baseball professionally. Called himself a coach but rarely showed up. When he did, his daughter would get to play in-field and missing every ball hit that found her (when he's not there, she played outfield or on bench b/c she was so unathletic.) HC kowtowed to him for some reason. When he decided to "coach", he would teach the girls all the wrong techniques. We told DD to ignore him and just do her thing. One time DD was hitting in a cage, and he stood next to her for a while. I decided to "stroll" over to see what he was telling her. He walked away immediately. DD later told me he said that if she hit to 1B, then she was late. To 3B, then she was early. The issue is, she is a LEFTY! That applies to RIGHTY only. DD was like 9, but she smiled and said she knew he was wrong, since it's the opposite of what her batting coach taught her.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When I was a little kid every chance I got to throw something to its
proper place, I would.
Like after cleaning off the kitchen table would throw the sponge back over by the sink. Of course there was a specific spot was shooting at...

My mom would always say 'don't throw things'
i never stopped.
Finally one time i said Mom look it ended up exactly where it's supposed to be. And she stopped saying not to throw.
Thank you Mom

Enjoyed making a career out of throwing Runners out and teaching others to do the same!

Yes Throw!

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
This I have a hard time believing..

DD later told me he said that if she hit to 1B, then she was late. To 3B, then she was early. The issue is, she is a LEFTY!

Our middle school coach said the same thing. :rolleyes: Also said to pull outside pitches and go opposite field on inside pitches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28