Do you wish your DD never started playing softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Did you try to extrapolate or did your brain shut off as soon as you heard the dreaded phrase? (Hint: Abuse and empowerment..)

We need a whole lot more context from the OP before the MeToo card can be played.

The abuse of children by coaches is awful. But, these days, some parents think that their DD is abused if she bats 7th instead of 4th.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I wish my daughter had more time to play more sports; that most sports are over for people in the USA between the ages of 14 and 23 is totally stupid.

Pretty much every other country in the world you can play the sport (and sports) you like and love until you can't any more. And you can take up a new sport at any age.,

Really? There aren't adult sports in Florida? I played softball until I got to the point where I thought things were going to fly off if I tried to sprint (whatever that word means as I near 60). I know guys who were playing baseball well into their 40s, and a friend my age and in better shape plays both football and softball...often on the same day. Another friend who is much older travels the country playing SP tournaments. If you live near any metropolitan area, the limits on what and how long you play are your own.

Jun 8, 2016
We need a whole lot more context from the OP before the MeToo card can be played.

The abuse of children by coaches is awful. But, these days, some parents think that their DD is abused if she bats 7th instead of 4th.
Give me a break..she used the phrase liberally..send her to The Hague. She was saying that she thought we were past the days of men abusing (physical or otherwise) subordinates (girls or otherwise) and not having to answer for it. It wasn’t that hard to connect the dots. It was pretty clear that in her mind there was some sort out of mental abuse..whether true or not.

Should she have used the term? Maybe not but it isn’t a big enough deal to be brought up..

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019
I wish my DD never played softball and she is only 10. I want to learn how to be a good softball parent. I am wondering as a parent, what I could do or NOT do in order to make DD have a better time with a team. Or it is not me or even DD? There was nothing we could do?

We experienced about 80% of what OP mentioned in the first post. We left a team. I wish DD never played.

Jul 22, 2015
I wish my DD never played softball and she is only 10. I want to learn how to be a good softball parent. I am wondering as a parent, what I could do or NOT do in order to make DD have a better time with a team. Or it is not me or even DD? There was nothing we could do?

We experienced about 80% of what OP mentioned in the first post. We left a team. I wish DD never played.
Simple really. Look for a team until you find one that isn't like that. Most are not. If the team you find isn't a good fit or you were fooled by a coach who presented as one type but ended up being another then leave that team too. If it takes leaving money on the table then do it. The most important thing to learn from those who leave teams is that virtually everyone who leaves ends up saying that they stayed too long.

Mar 8, 2016

Jadefish

Hang in there. There are good situations out there. DD had rough experiences her first 3 years of tb. She stuck with it and softball provided her and our family a wonderful experience with lots of great memories. She is now playing in college and still loves the game. Her last year of playing tb I asked if she was glad she did tb and if she would do it again. Her answer was a definite yes. Where there a lot of ups and downs. Yes. Without lows, you can't appreciate the highs.
You can't make a softball career in 10u but you can end one. Softball at this age needs to be about fun and player development but mostly about fun and developing a love of the game.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Jan 31, 2011

Find another team. Listen to your gut.

For most of us here, its easy to say what we would do (now in hindsight), but when your DD is in the middle of it and you don't want to ruin her future opportunities, its a hard choice. If your DD is having a miserable time, then find a new team ASAP.

To be clear, I wouldn't trade all of the years of TB/HS ball we had for anything. The memories created are priceless. Here is a bit of advice too; get involved. Learn the game, offer to help out, you would be amazed at the opportunities that will appear.

Oct 4, 2018

When you're at tournaments, watch other teams. Look for happy girls. Look for teams that are having fun between games. Look for teams who have players rooting each other on. And of course, look for how coaches react to errors, mistakes, losses.

With just that thought in mind, you can form a list of teams you'd like to be on in a matter of weeks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28