Do you find wearing black jerseys makes a difference in summer?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I haven't read the articles - but are they saying if you have identical black and white jerseys, the white won't keep the player cooler?

There is a key in your post that is not said ... "keep the player cooler". The articles talk about the fabric itself. They do theorize on body heat transfer, but they do nothing to measure or explore it.

Oct 3, 2019
Several girls on my team want black jerseys for this upcoming season. I love how black looks, but I worry about the effect it will have in those long summer games and tournaments when the temps and sun beating down on them is going to be at its most intense. Is this one of those things that really isn't something to worry about and I'm being silly? Or should I go with a lighter color?
The key is to stay hydrated. Players should be drinking constantly, not just when they feel thirsty. Pitchers and catchers especially and all players actually, because of the potential of a long inning in the field, sweltering in the heat. Last year I became dehydrated just watching games on a hot day. Soda wasn't effective and until I had actual water, I didn't feel better. It was a scary situation for me. It was amazing the difference it made once I began drinking water and I became a believer at that point. So, I am now working on a hydration system that players can wear under their jersey that would give access to water at all times. We aren't aware of the subtle difference it makes being even slightly dehydrated. Staying ahead is the way to go.

Jun 8, 2016
I missed it ... Gags must have been wearing that fence camouflage ...
Would have I been spared the ridicule had I instead said "not playing the IF in late in the game with a girl on third with less than 2 outs and a tie ball game/down by a run" because that happens about once a tournament too :LOL:

May 29, 2015
The key is to stay hydrated. Players should be drinking constantly, not just when they feel thirsty. Pitchers and catchers especially and all players actually, because of the potential of a long inning in the field, sweltering in the heat. Last year I became dehydrated just watching games on a hot day. Soda wasn't effective and until I had actual water, I didn't feel better. It was a scary situation for me. It was amazing the difference it made once I began drinking water and I became a believer at that point. So, I am now working on a hydration system that players can wear under their jersey that would give access to water at all times. We aren't aware of the subtle difference it makes being even slightly dehydrated. Staying ahead is the way to go.

Soda can actually be dehydrating. As you said, good old water is the way to go. Beware as it can be overdone though -- pace yourself, don't pound it. On hot days, I make sure I am drinking a 20 oz. bottle per game (two when I'm on the plate) whether I think I need it or not.

If you are drinking one of the XXXXade drinks, mix it 50/50 with water. Do not drink it straight.

To prepare for a tournament, you should start hydrating a few days before. Don't pound water, but drink less soda, coffee, and tea; replace it with water.

Good initiative @Jeannie , but be prepared to be told they can't wear it on the field. Umpires, however ... :) (No, I wouldn't if the players can't.)

Oct 3, 2019
Soda can actually be dehydrating. As you said, good old water is the way to go. Beware as it can be overdone though -- pace yourself, don't pound it. On hot days, I make sure I am drinking a 20 oz. bottle per game (two when I'm on the plate) whether I think I need it or not.

If you are drinking one of the XXXXade drinks, mix it 50/50 with water. Do not drink it straight.

To prepare for a tournament, you should start hydrating a few days before. Don't pound water, but drink less soda, coffee, and tea; replace it with water.

Good initiative @Jeannie , but be prepared to be told they can't wear it on the field. Umpires, however ... :) (No, I wouldn't if the players can't.)
Yeah, I was wondering about that, not being able to wear it. Was thinking a small reservoir under the jersey with a flex hose to the face mask. In the interest of safety, it should be allowed.

Feb 18, 2014
Yeah, I was wondering about that, not being able to wear it. Was thinking a small reservoir under the jersey with a flex hose to the face mask. In the interest of safety, it should be allowed.
First if you aren't peeing you aren't drinking enough is the general rule.

Second if you require a water bladder to make it through an inning your list of problems is much larger than hydration.

May 6, 2015
turf is nasty in the heat, one weekend I remember you could see the heat waves coming off the turf like you can blacktop on a hot sunny day. was afraid is was gong to start melting shoes.

there is one complex near us though that has pretty good hybrid fields, infield is dirt/sand, outfield turf, and where they meet the turf is brown, and gradually is put in lower and lower on a slope allowing dirt/.sand to gradually take over, so no lip. at least IF was a little cooler, pity the poor OFers though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad