Do you find wearing black jerseys makes a difference in summer?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

This is a better article;

White or light colors all the way.

I have seen some umpire forums where they measure the inside temp around their chest protector - it was a about 20 degree cooler with white. or light colored short.s

Aug 2, 2019
Our new uniforms look great, but blue and black, the other is black and blue. It's going to be hot out there. Luckily, the fan gear is available in gray and white!

Oct 4, 2018

I have seen some umpire forums where they measure the inside temp around their chest protector - it was a about 20 degree cooler with white. or light colored short.s

Like I said, I'm not convinced it's much of a difference. Now I certainly do think a white jersey is cooler than a black jersey, I'm just saying I don't think it's as big a deal as some make it out to be. And both those articles support that. I like that umpires did some measuring, though am curious how they made it at all scientific.

As they both mention, some of the hottest areas of the world are inhabited by people who choose black clothes because they are cooler. Certainly some merit in that.

And I do firmly believe the fit and material is far more important than the color. I'd rather wear a light, loose-fitting black jersey with no sleeves than a super-tight wool sweater than happens to be white. :p

May 29, 2015

But most chest protectors are black inside ... so by those articles, the chest protectors should be pulling heat away. ;)

I've actually been giving some thought to designing a chest protector ... I'd be interested in that data!

My issue with heat (and it gets worse as I get older) is not the color of my shirt ... it is the materials and how stifling layers of clothing and gear are. I wear a t-shirt, chest protector, and then my umpire shirt. NOTHING breathes. Everything traps the heat. I can pull the collar of my chest protector out (or "open up" the sides with my arms) and feel the heat pouring out of it.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
White is the one color I refuse to buy. Then again, I prefer the darker colors with heather grey pants.

I have never bought into the white/black in the summer thing. The fabric is more important and umpire shirts have traditionally been terrible fabrics.
My wife agrees with you here.....My DD's team has a blue on black, now they went with a 2nd uniform that is all white on white, knowing how my 2B DD plays, my wife is dreading the cleaning.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
we’ve been on teams that wear black even here in Texas. The Girls didnt complain any more ( or less) when they wore black.

We are now on a team that is red, white and dark blue, But they wear shorts. She loves them.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
We play in Florida and have 4 jerseys. White, Orange, Gray and Black. Typically Black only happens when then sun has gone down, or during the day in the Fall season when is really cold down in the low 60's. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee