Do you attend your daughter's practice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The one time I didn't watch DD's practice was a benefit for her. Her team was having a hot mess of a summer and we were considering moving on at the end of the season. I was running Hot and didn't want to sit around the warehouse where DD's team was having batting practice, so I sat in my truck watching Narcos on Netflix. As practice was winding down, DD ran out to the truck and said the organization's coaches wanted to take a look at her some more. She was asked to start practicing with the 18U team before they left for the JO Cup. We stayed put for the next 3 years. Staying in my truck that night was my best move ever!

Nov 4, 2015
One thing I learned after my DD's 1st TB team is I will no longer ever join a team without knowing whether the HC runs a good practice ahead of time. If the coach won't let you watch a practice before deciding to join then he/she is hiding something..this isn't the NFL. The new team DD joined actually just had her workout with the team during a practice (although I already knew he ran a good practice before that..)

I totally agree with that. But if you are going to watch a practice before she joins the team, then why not watch after? I know that not all practices are the same. I've coached and played enough to know that some practices are better than others. I don't expect a team practice to make my kid a ton better. That's for us to work on. I look at the team practices as a chance to improve the team skills and for the girls to show what they can do. If your DD is not playing her primary position in tournaments, but wants to, what are you going to do? What knowledge do you have of her ability compared to others and how do you respond to her if you aren't watching practices?

Jun 8, 2016
I totally agree with that. But if you are going to watch a practice before she joins the team, then why not watch after?
To be completely honest, I don't really enjoy watching her play. It gives me anxiety. I did what I needed to do to make sure I put her on a team where practice wouldn't be a total waste of time. That said I do think that, as I mentioned previously, it is good to give them their space sometimes even if you enjoy watching them play.

With respect to improving her at home, I know enough about her primary position to know what she needs to work on so that she can improve. You cannot control what the other kids on the team can or cannot do.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Congratulations Pattar - you've somehow managed to call anyone who wants to watch their kids practice a "helicopter" parent. You've made the majority of the posts on here about you with this inane chatter about how you don't like people and think of everyone as an idiot (btw, I feel that same way but don't feel the need to post that all the time). It's humorous every now and then to hear the story about you throwing a water bottle and having a temper tantrum, or how you worked so hard as a kid against all odds only to burn out and fade away but c'mon, surely you have more to offer?

You've had flashes of brilliance...find it more often kid, you can do it, you've put in the work now go forward and be better. ;-) Wait, what's the last comment about not really enjoying watching her play? C'mon man...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee