Do players need to watch where they hit the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2008
Iʻm not sure warm-up before the game is the time to be building confidence in hitting skills. Typically solid hitting practice during the week will be what actually gives a player confidence that they are game ready. Not hitting wiffles before the game. JMHO.

Plus Iʻm not sure I like building the habit of sitting there watching where my ball, goes/lands.

Yes, as a hitter, in the split second as Iʻm getting out the box I can already tell where the ball is headed (as well as if I need to run straight through the bag or make a turn).

But I AGREE with the others that HEAD DOWN gives you more power, in and of itself (nothing to do with vision).

IMHO - wiffle balls give you very little feedback on how good or bad a hit was. MOST players off contact with a real ball can tell whether or not the hit was good. You donʻt need to see how far it went. The goal is solid contact on a regular basis. This can be seen and felt hitting real balls into a net off a tee or soft toss (or in a cage). Wiffles donʻt allow you to "feel" a good hit vs a bad one. Players need to learn that "feel" and be able to self correct more than they need to see wiffles fly - again JMHO!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802