Do I even know what the heck I'm saying? Advice please.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
My DD is a 2017 pitcher verballed to Purdue. We will be there on the 18th to check out the weather and attend their pitching camp. When we went for our visit back in Sept it was 75 and sunny, yesterday it was 7 degrees with a wind chill of -8....just dayum!

It's a balmy 7 degrees here in KC today too. Ick! I wish they were located 8 hours south of us instead of 8 hours east. ;-)

Apr 1, 2010
MsD, I've seen your DD play and she is very talented. Do you have a skills video you could send to the Purdue coaching staff as a way to introduce yourself and make the request for an unofficial visit as part of the planned academic visit?

Thank you! Unfortunately, we don't have a video. Since she's a 2018 catcher not playing the exposures yet, I planned to make one later. Her team is going to the 16U ASA Nationals in Oklahoma in July; I figured we'd go find a field this spring and make one ahead of that.

January and February in KC is not the time of year I'd pick to make one---eeek. I could maybe work something out with Diamond Academy or Bases Loaded, etc. if we don't have a mid-winter thaw, but it would cost $$$.

Feb 3, 2011
Here's what I said just the other day.

DD used to be certain she wanted to play in college, now she's not so sure. She does know she wants a good academic school and a "hard" major. Something in the sciences or engineering or perhaps pharmacy, etc. Lifetime career definitely trumps big-time softball for us.​

However, DD has received a flyer from Purdue about their "Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day" that she's been waving around at us. It sounds great, DD is enthusiastic and after poking around on the internet, I don't see any closer colleges offering such a thing. So DH and I are considering making the 8 hour drive to Indiana to let her attend this.

Now I consider Purdue big-time softball, but Purdue the academic institution is on DD's radar. If we go, should we 1) just pretend we were never there in terms of softball or 2) have DD contact the coach to tell her she'll be there that weekend and ask whether she could make an unofficial visit?

In addition to being a talented player, it sounds like your DD has a GREAT head on her shoulders. I, for one, would be thrilled if my little one came to me asking to attend an academic camp of any sort.

I'm not saying that softball would be a distraction from her focus on engineering that weekend, but beyond letting her see the facilities, I probably wouldn't say anything else about it. I love where her head is at on this.

Mar 26, 2013
7 degrees sounds great. That's about 20 degrees warmer than here today.
Does it really matter to a snowman like yourself? ;

6ce8a68a0ec1de967304babab9d0b781.jpg

Olaf: But sometimes I like to close my eyes, and imagine what it'd be like when summer does come.

Jan 25, 2011
Purdue? Oh crap, we have a bunch of those Purdue engineers where I work. They argue with all the Penn State engineers. My dd has been looking at Penn state. I'm afraid she will become my boss someday at work:(. I work for a Diesel engine manufacture our base is in Indiana. So we get a lot of Purdue grads, but because the plant I work at is in New York, we get a lot of Penn state grads. Penn states softball team isn't great, but they have a new stadium. Female engineers go to the top of the list with our company, good field. My dd just isn't sold with the route yet. Im all for it, but it isn't my life.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Purdue? Oh crap, we have a bunch of those Purdue engineers where I work. They argue with all the Penn State engineers. My dd has been looking at Penn state. I'm afraid she will become my boss someday at work:(. I work for a Diesel engine manufacture our base is in Indiana. So we get a lot of Purdue grads, but because the plant I work at is in New York, we get a lot of Penn state grads. Penn states softball team isn't great, but they have a new stadium. Female engineers go to the top of the list with our company, good field. My dd just isn't sold with the route yet. Im all for it, but it isn't my life.

Purdue starts playing in their brand new stadium in March! Can you tell that I am excited???

Softball Stadium Construction Update - Oct. 30, 2014 - PURDUESPORTS.COM - Purdue Official Athletic Site

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Wow, beautiful stadium!! I was born in Lafayette, Indiana, when my dad was a graduate student in electrical engineering at Purdue (thus my screen name - a nod to my dad). We moved to the Boston area when I was 2, but I grew up hearing stories of my parents' fun times at Purdue. One night my dad made himself a "boilermaker" - much to the joy of us kids, in seeing our normally quiet, soft spoken engineer dad take a shot of whiskey, drop it into a pint of beer, and drink it down in one go.

Ms - it can't hurt to have a look around the SB facilities - if your daughter is anything like mine, she'll change her mind a million times between now and HS graduation. One of my DD's teammates is looking to play SB in college while getting a mechanical engineering degree.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
Check their playing schedule. If it's in February, there's a good chance they'll be out of town.

I hadn't thought of that! Even though it's too cold there, sure they'll probably be off at a warm weather tourney...

Yep! They'll be in Tennessee that weekend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478