Do good hitters time the pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2009
Tony isn't it? From FPF? Long time.

Check the clips I linked.

Yep, that's me. Coached through 2004, then went to the "dark side". Left umpiring in 2007 for the same reason I got into it - just don't have much of an opinion of most umpires. Coaching a 12-U team with no dd on it and having a ball.

Jan 20, 2009
Or here. http://home.mindspring.com/~rmk/Riverasingle.mpg

Use your cursor keys to look at these frame by frame. Note the movement happening before the ball leaves the pitcher's hand to see my point about timing. A phrase I've heard used is, the hitter has to learn to dance with the pitcher.

OK, we were talking about 2 different things. Absolutley there is timing and ryhthm that will vary with each pitcher, especially going into hard focus, pre-load and stride all before the pitcher releases the ball.

I was picking on the "focus on the hip" that I am seeing in several posts across several threads.

tc

May 12, 2008
Yep, that's me. Coached through 2004, then went to the "dark side". Left umpiring in 2007 for the same reason I got into it - just don't have much of an opinion of most umpires. Coaching a 12-U team with no dd on it and having a ball.

Good for you and good for the sport. Way to go.

May 12, 2008
OK, we were talking about 2 different things. Absolutley there is timing and ryhthm that will vary with each pitcher, especially going into hard focus, pre-load and stride all before the pitcher releases the ball.

I was picking on the "focus on the hip" that I am seeing in several posts across several threads.

tc

I figured we agreed once we understood each other.

Jan 15, 2009
You definitely need to get the timing of the pitcher established so that you know when to start your motion as a batter. Also timing when you will go from soft focus (seeing pitcher) to hard focus (looking at the area where you will pick up the ball).

We ran into a unique pitcher last weekend. It seems most of the pitchers we come across race through their motion, this girl was extremely delibrate, I got to one thousand three on a count from when she started her motion to ball delivery, reminded me of bowling. She wasn't pitching fast, but she was being effective and I think her change of pace threw some of our girls and/or they started hard focus too early and lost focus before the ball actually came. Tough to make a career out of that, but effective in the short term.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28