Do’s and Don’ts for the Car Ride Home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Once again today’s topic is the result of a reader suggestion – this time from my friend and pitching coach extraordinaire Jamison (James Clark). James is a PaulyGirl Fastpitch Elite Level certified pitching coach in the Southeastern Indiana area – Richmond, specifically – so if you’re a pitcher in search of a great coach check […]

More...

Dec 19, 2021
My standard car ride conversation started like this. “What did you think of the game?” “How do you feel about how you did?”
She controlled the conversation from there.
Same here. Sometimes she wants to talk, so we do. Sometimes not so much. Mostly I just ask open-ended questions and mix in observations about interesting plays. She is at the point now where she can critique her (and her team's) performance and not have the little storm cloud follow her around all day. If she had a bad game she knows it and says so, but doesn't let it linger. Rather she uses it for motivation for what to work on.

Bottom line is that I show respect for her opinions and observations. It is her ride. I am just there to watch and cheer.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
There are handful of regrets that come to my mind in this life of mine. Sadly, more than one involve a ride home from a game. Balancing how to be competitive, supportive , and not take some things too serious has been a flaw of mine most of my life.
I'm sure it's a challenge for all of us. I can't say I never violated the Don'ts myself.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Through my learning curve of being a softball parent, I definitely violated a few of the "Do Nots" early on. It wasn't until I joined DFP that I realized the error in my ways and went to the "no talking softball" on the rides home.

I can't pinpoint when, somewhere between DD being 12 or 13, she would start talking about the game or tournament on her own. I think it's become a way for her to get the remainder of the "game stuff" out. Sometimes her gears are still turning. Just because the game is done, doesn't mean she's stopped thinking about it. The topics vary. Sometimes its about a play she's really proud of. Other times its about an error or strike out. We laugh about the mistakes and praise the good things. Add in a little about opportunities to work on the "struggles" and we move on.

But, when she's done talking about softball, she's done. It's an abrupt topic change and she won't go back to anything softball related.

Whether she understands it or not, it's a way for her to move on to other things by the time we get home.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
I read an article a long time ago. I don't recall who wrote it. But it gave me my standard line after every game.

It was a joy to watch you play.

Jun 8, 2016
I read an article a long time ago. I don't recall who wrote it. But it gave me my standard line after every game.

It was a joy to watch you play.
I cannot say that because half the time it would be a lie. Instead I go with "Did you have fun?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802