Diving into first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Ohhh just remembered
Sit down and Hold on to your coffee...
Used to SLIDE into first to take out defensive player so they couldnt make a play on runner going to 3rd.

May 21, 2018
This isn't global warming or trying to figure out whether coffee is good or bad for you. This involves some very well understood principles of physics taught to STEM-minded HS and first-year college students everywhere.

In anything other than a perfect vacuum, a softball decelerates as soon as it loses contact with the bat or a thrower's hand. Similarly, a runner achieves their best speed using maximum effort and their best running form. Anything less than that, and they decelerate from that best speed. Even a sprinter pushing their chest forward at the finish line is decelerating a bit, so lets not try to debate about what happens when the balls of their feet are no longer in contact with the ground. Newton's 2nd Law applies here; while airborne, you're decelerating just like a softball does after being hit or thrown. When in contact with the ground on a slide, you're very rapidly decelerating.
Here's the article if you are interested.

I understand the physics involved, but I'm not sure about this guys calculations. I don't care enough to argue about it because I think it's a terrible idea regardless.

Oct 14, 2019
It’s not rocket science. Time the runner running through the base and sliding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 21, 2018
It’s not rocket science. Time the runner running through the base and sliding.

You new here? DFP is where we turn everything into rocket science. :ROFLMAO:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
View attachment 23305

So, maybe this will work at first and home only, since you would probably slide past 2B and 3B. But only for kids that can keep their legs in the air. Of course, your hand must land very near the base/plate.

Here is the slower slider with his leg dragging.
View attachment 23306
The images in this post show where the base is in a runners stride can affect overall time to first.
Bad running strides can have to be corrected at the base with either shortened step or lunge step. Can affect actual time touching the base.
And visual hiccup for umpire.

An off stride is usually not helpful to
* the speed of running bases
Because its not just sprinting its sprinting to touch a base as smoothly as possible.
* and missplant can cause injury because instability on landing, awkward angles on foot/ankle/knee.

Oct 14, 2019
Baseball and fastpitch people are not the brightest bulbs. Timers and radar are the work of the devil. :)

Ain’t that the truth? How many times do I have to watch a manager wait until the starter gives up a home run before they bring in the reliever? How many fly balls to the warning track before ypu realize it’s time for a change?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Ain’t that the truth? How many times do I have to watch a manager wait until the starter gives up a home run before they bring in the reliever? How many fly balls to the warning track before ypu realize it’s time for a change?

DD's former TB coach told me, when you think it's time to switch out pitchers, it's already too late.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28