Distance you travel to your travel team.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
DD team has a couple of weekend practices during the year that is mandatory for all girls to attend. We live 8 hours away. They have weekly practices for girls that live in the area if they choose to attend (org wide). The furthest on our team is 11 hours away but as MD stated one of the girls on our orgs older team is from New York which is a long way from Alabama.

My DD practices on her own and meets the team for tournaments. Honestly it was a great decision to join this team. Now DD has plenty of time to see her private instruction coaches, which was a big time burden when she was practicing 3-4 times a week when playing on a local team. So she gets way more work in compared to what she was getting previously and has help her skill level greatly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 22, 2015
Illinois
DD is in 16U and been with the same organization for about 3 years. Winter indoor practices are about an hour drive. Outdoor practices are about a 45 minute drive. We actually have quite a few teams/orgs around here that are closer, but finding a good team close to home that plays well against good competition, has a good schedule & has good coaching is tough. If she were an only child the skies the limit and we would go farther from home, but with 2 boys that play other sports there's just no way we could pull it off.

Feb 26, 2018
My DD practices on her own and meets the team for tournaments. Honestly it was a great decision to join this team. Now DD has plenty of time to see her private instruction coaches, which was a big time burden when she was practicing 3-4 times a week when playing on a local team. So she gets way more work in compared to what she was getting previously and has help her skill level greatly.

This is what I like about my DD's team only practicing once a week. It allows her to do more private instructions, play school sports and not have her life be softball 24/7 and she is enjoying the game and is more hungry to play and practice.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
This is what I like about my DD's team only practicing once a week. It allows her to do more private instructions, play school sports and not have her life be softball 24/7 and she is enjoying the game and is more hungry to play and practice.

I agree..... it really changed a lot for the good IMHO.

Jul 28, 2016
8u,10u,12u - local team 5-10 minute drive
14u - more of a regional team 20-25 minute drive
16u - national team with a 1 hr drive with some girls that are 2-3 hours away

what's crazy is that there are some kids at the 14u and 16u level that don't practice with their TB team on a regular basis, they just fly in for tournaments; not sure how prevalent it is but I know it happens; seems pretty crazy to me though..

May 27, 2013
18U Gold team. When we practice it’s usually once per week for four hours. We drive about an hour and bypass a lot of teams that would be much closer. There might be other Gold teams closer to our area that are arguably better as far as their records go, but my dd just loves the head coach, the players and his staff. Our experience so far has been amazing - I’d drive much further for her to be on this team in a heartbeat.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Over the entire time in softball her teams never practiced more then 15 minutes from our house. Indoor pitching and batting practices in the winter were 5 minutes away the last 4 years of TB.

We were spoiled

Apr 16, 2013
What distances are folks traveling to their TB team practices. I know in some parts of the country TB is huge and you don't have to go to far. Here in eastern NC it seem you could travel a long way (1-2 hrs)for certain age groups or better teams to fit your daughters skill or development.

My daughter is only 8 so just getting an idea of what may to possibly expect in the future.
Eastern NC? That's my neck of the woods. :) Depending on how far east you shouldn't have any issues playing within an hour. However, at 8u that's too much IMO. Too much for 10u even. There are probably a lot of travel teams in a 30 min radius. My DD plays 16uA and there are probably 10 teams within 30 mins, one just a few miles down the road.

Oct 4, 2018
16U team. The park where we practice is 36 miles from the house. We are currently practicing M/W from 7-9 PM and Sunday from 1-5 PM (on weekends when we don't play in a tournament). It takes us 40-45 minutes on Sunday to get there, but a solid hour and a half one way on weeknights in Atlanta rush hour traffic.

What team are you with, if you don't mind sharing?

We play in a ton of Atlanta tournaments and I'm just curious if I've seen your organization around the ballparks.

My 10U girl plays on the local community team. Commute is 8 minutes and it's awesome. She could probably make a better team but that's not the plan. We want to keep it fun, community-based, local for as long as we can. That of course could change but I love that we're a tight group of parents and girls who are on track to play together on the high school team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802