Distance you travel to your travel team.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2019
What distances are folks traveling to their TB team practices. I know in some parts of the country TB is huge and you don't have to go to far. Here in eastern NC it seem you could travel a long way (1-2 hrs)for certain age groups or better teams to fit your daughters skill or development.

My daughter is only 8 so just getting an idea of what may to possibly expect in the future.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
When my DD started in TB at 10yo, the closest team was 45-ish minutes away, and that's the one we stayed with for 3 years. We had 2 practices during the week, and usually a practice on Saturday morning, and games on Sunday (which could be anywhere within an hour-ish of home). It was a lot of driving, and a significant change to the usual pattern of our life, but we accepted it.

All that said, we know lots of people who are pretty close to their team's home. One of my DD's teammates lived 5 minutes from the field. On the flip side of that, she also had teammates that traveled well over an hour to get to practices.

Jun 8, 2016
What distances are folks traveling to their TB team practices. I know in some parts of the country TB is huge and you don't have to go to far. Here in eastern NC it seem you could travel a long way (1-2 hrs)for certain age groups or better teams to fit your daughters skill or development.

My daughter is only 8 so just getting an idea of what may to possibly expect in the future.
Our practice field/facility is about 45-50 minutes away (10U). 2 or 3 1.5 hour practices a week depending on if they have a tournament or not.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018
My 12UA DD's practice is an hour and a half away for us. I'd say about 2 other parents have the same drive as us, a few more at or around an hour. 5 of our girls are from Ohio, so we try to meet in the middle for everyone. Practices are once a week for 3 hours, but will go to twice a week on non tournament weekends once school is out. If we do have a tournament, it's one 2 hour practice during the week.

Jun 11, 2012
10u-12u DD’s team was 5 minutes away. 14u and up we traveled just over an hour but with the exception of one of those years we were able to carpool with at least one other local player

Jun 12, 2015
Our closest was 10 minutes away (those were the days). Furthest about 1:15. Right now we're at about half an hour.

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
I think a lot of it depends on what level the team is. When my daughter was on a B/C team she would travel 30-40 minutes and would practice once during the week and once on weekends. Now that she is on a second year 12U "A" level team, we practice on the weekend only, but have a 6 hour practice to make it worth it for those that have to drive. Three girls live close to practice and the rest drive 1-2 hrs. We have one that lives 3 hrs away, so she does't practice with the team much. We don't practice during the season, since we play every weekend. We are expected to be working during the week on our own. I do know several families playing at the younger 10U travel A level and they have similar travel situations.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
16U team. The park where we practice is 36 miles from the house. We are currently practicing M/W from 7-9 PM and Sunday from 1-5 PM (on weekends when we don't play in a tournament). It takes us 40-45 minutes on Sunday to get there, but a solid hour and a half one way on weeknights in Atlanta rush hour traffic.

Nov 18, 2013
At the highest levels it’s not uncommon for girls to play on teams thousands of miles away. I’ve known of players who live with teammates for the summer or stay with family in the area. Some train at home and drive or fly to meet up with the team at tourneys. As crazy as it sounds it’s not that bad.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Last year - 10uB 75 mins. This year 12A 3 hours. As others have said - I think alot depends on what level of play and the fit. We will likely be in the 4-5 hr range next season if it works out but if you want to play at the highest level sometimes you have to spend some time on the road.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802