Dipping Shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
From the very first swing using the high tee they hit well under the ball. That gets their attention right away. Now they become aware of their uppercut. The next few swings they tend to start hitting more line-drive-type swings. Gradually I move the tee lower and lower as long as they stay on plane. If they uppercut I move it back up until they're on plane again.

Mostly what I've found is that once they are aware they're uppercutting it's easier for them to make adjustments. Uppercuts happen for a variety of reasons. The high tee is usually the first thing I try.

Nov 22, 2010
Looking at past video I think it's a combo of a few of the suggestions. The hands are dropping at the beginning of the swing and the elbow is getting past the hands. Now I'm not sure if the hands are dropping because the elbow is pulling them. I'm trying to get her in with a hitting instructor, but all the ones that are recommended seem to be completely full.

What are some drills for keeping the back elbow in position?

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Poping up

She might be popping up because of her swing being level (with the ground). If she allows her barell to be below the hands at contact and swings with an upper cut (especially low pitch) finishing high over oppossing shoulder, she will have a better chance of hitting a line drive. However if she swings level she has a higher chance of a ground ball or pop fly as she will need to hit a smaller middle on the ball IMO.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Looking at past video I think it's a combo of a few of the suggestions. The hands are dropping at the beginning of the swing and the elbow is getting past the hands. Now I'm not sure if the hands are dropping because the elbow is pulling them. I'm trying to get her in with a hitting instructor, but all the ones that are recommended seem to be completely full.

What are some drills for keeping the back elbow in position?

Thanks again for all your assistance.

She needs to learn how to get the barrel moving without dropping her hands. IOW, she needs to learn how to establish connection. Have you ever thrown a frisbee sidearm? Skipped a rock? IMO the back arm works similar to these activities when hitting. The basic movement is a combination of external rotation and adduction. Every player I have ever seen has the adduction part down. What they are missing is the external rotation movement in the upper arm. The lowering of the rear elbow is a combination move IMO. Have her stand in front of a mirror with her back arm level to the ground, with her bicep and forearm pinched some. Have her make a loose fist with her hand. If she simultaneously adducts and externally rotates from this position her elbow will get down and her hand will stay at her rear shoulder. It helps to think of the hand being in control. Or, if she has a good overhand throw, let her throw an old tee ball bat with just the top hand.

Also, check to see if your daughter's top hand gets outside her elbow; either when she loads her hands, or while in her stance (the dreaded relaxed elbow stance) if she is a dead start type hitter with no hand load.

May 7, 2008
DFW
From the very first swing using the high tee they hit well under the ball. That gets their attention right away. Now they become aware of their uppercut. The next few swings they tend to start hitting more line-drive-type swings. Gradually I move the tee lower and lower as long as they stay on plane. If they uppercut I move it back up until they're on plane again.

Mostly what I've found is that once they are aware they're uppercutting it's easier for them to make adjustments. Uppercuts happen for a variety of reasons. The high tee is usually the first thing I try.

Softball the only issue with this approach is that your ingraining a muscle memory pattern of keeping the shoulders level to contact. You dont want that pattern. You have to have some lateral tilt going into contact dependent on the position of the ball coming in. More for the outside pitch. Less for the inside pitch. None sometimes for the riseball. A lot more for the ball down low.

Upper cuts happen for 3 reasons. 1. The back elbow gets in front of the hand at contact. 2. The batter loops the bat and drops the hands. 3 The batter after they learn connection starts the front elbow up immediately and never gets to extension. Carrier and Slaught talk about this when they discuss a good front elbow move. This stops that last problem. Bonds talked about taking the bottom hand and pulling across the chest. That was his term for the same move that Carrier and Slaught talk about with a good first elbow move.

Hope this helps.

Dana.

Oct 25, 2009
Softball the only issue with this approach is that your ingraining a muscle memory pattern of keeping the shoulders level to contact. You dont want that pattern. You have to have some lateral tilt going into contact dependent on the position of the ball coming in. More for the outside pitch. Less for the inside pitch. None sometimes for the riseball. A lot more for the ball down low.

Upper cuts happen for 3 reasons. 1. The back elbow gets in front of the hand at contact. 2. The batter loops the bat and drops the hands. 3 The batter after they learn connection starts the front elbow up immediately and never gets to extension. Carrier and Slaught talk about this when they discuss a good front elbow move. This stops that last problem. Bonds talked about taking the bottom hand and pulling across the chest. That was his term for the same move that Carrier and Slaught talk about with a good first elbow move.

Hope this helps.

Dana.

Some kids purposely try to get under the ball to lift it; hoping to clear the fence.

Using the high tee exposes their uppercut. A ball that high in the zone would call for a more level swing. That's the point of the drill. As they adjust their swing to a non-uppercut the tee is gradually lowered, accompanied by corresponding tilt.

Using too much of any drill can cause the wrong pattern to be ingrained. Use the quantity of repetitions necessary to help alleviate the uppercut. I've had pretty quick success at getting them to realize they are uppercutting. It also helps them realize the difference between an uppercut and proper bat angle at various pitch locations.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478