Dipping Shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2010
Daughter is a solid hitter, but has a bad habit of dipping her shoulder in game conditions. During cage hitting or drills she's fantastic, but when she's keyed up in a game the shoulder drops.

Are there any drills that specifically address the shoulder? .. Training Aids?

Thanks.

Oct 12, 2009
Daughter is a solid hitter, but has a bad habit of dipping her shoulder in game conditions. During cage hitting or drills she's fantastic, but when she's keyed up in a game the shoulder drops.

Why do you think this is bad?

In most cases, this is how you adjust to hit pitches down in the strike zone.

It sounds like she isn't seeing low pitches off of the tee or in the cage, which is why you don't see this then.

Also, how is she hitting in games?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Take a look again at her swing in games if you have it on tape. Are you certain it is the shoulder that is the problem?

Watch the back elbow...is it tucking in past perpendicular to the ground. This can create a barrel dump and the appearence of a back shoulder problem. It will also create bat drag.

She winds up under the ball with the barrel and a little late. Is this at all what is happening?

Nov 22, 2010
Good Point

Why do you think this is bad?

In most cases, this is how you adjust to hit pitches down in the strike zone.

It sounds like she isn't seeing low pitches off of the tee or in the cage, which is why you don't see this then.

Also, how is she hitting in games?

Good point on the cage and tee, we're not working specifically on the bottom of the zone. She's hitting .385, but probably half the hits are "miss-hits" that are dropping. I'm concerned because the bats coming off plane towards the end of the swing. She's hit some 260' bombs, but she's also popping up to the outfield on many of the outs.

Nov 22, 2010
You hit it right on the head as far as the results. So you're saying as she's starting her swing the back elbow is coming forward to quickly?

A little off topic, but is there a site that has videos of great swings?

Oct 25, 2009
Sounds like she's swinging for the fence. Not a bad thing. I would have her swing off a high tee (about arm pit level) to help eliminate the uppercut effect. A good indicator if she's uppercutting will be having difficulty hitting line drives off the high tee. It's even better when using high tee for her to hit long tee outfield rather than into a net. Lots of swings!

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
A little off topic, but is there a site that has videos of great swings?

The Model Swings Thread is perfect.

Then Check out Chris O Leary's explanation of bat drag from his website. Doubtful that your daughters is this bad but try it yourself and watch the barrel as your rear elbow sucks in. I haven't seen her but this is a possibility.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia

Thanks.

Are you sure it's the shoulder? A swing flaw that I am seeing more and more of are players who tilt their shoulders to get on plane, plus they drop their hands at swing initiation. Basically they are getting on plane twice; once with their hands and once with their shoulders. The combination makes for a very steep swing plane.

I am working with one girl now who is doing this. I have her hitting off a high tee. Plus I've told her to "raise her sights" (to borrow a phrase from Ted) and to start her swing with the thought of the pitch being at the letters.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Sounds like she's swinging for the fence. Not a bad thing. I would have her swing off a high tee (about arm pit level) to help eliminate the uppercut effect. A good indicator if she's uppercutting will be having difficulty hitting line drives off the high tee. It's even better when using high tee for her to hit long tee outfield rather than into a net. Lots of swings!

What would you hope to accomplish with this method of instruction? If she is popping the ball up because of a swing flaw with the back elbow you can do this till your blue in the face and she will still pop the ball up. If your teaching someone to hit a rise ball I might agree.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom