Dilemma: Keep original pitching coach; look for new one?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Yes knight, the greatest thing is giving the pitcher ways to self-correct in a game that don't create overthinking or anxiety, and that work immediately.

Great point Screwball. I can tell practicing with her, and her new found ability to "self-correct" has really had a positive impact on her self-confidence. Before she would be anxious when the ball wouldn't go where she thought it should. Now she gives herself immediate feedback (often times before I can pipe up).

Oct 18, 2009
I going to be very blunt here. You HAVE to be her primary pitching coach if you want her to have any real success as a pitcher. Unless you are going to pay a PC to work with your DD 3 to 4 days a week for an hour at a time, year-round, than the person sitting on that bucket is going to be you. It's critical that you educate yourself on pitching mechanics because at the end of the day, your DD and you are the ones that will determine whether or not she succeeds at the position. Otherwise you are just throwing your money away.

OK. I was afraid of that. I guess I like how our relationship is now where I just catch and her pitching coach is the one she is listening to (even in her head when we're just practicing) as she doesn't ever really want to listen to me anyway...

Oct 18, 2009
Fastpitch, yes... I fired her PC ;-) and took over the job exclusively working with her using the Hillhouse DVD. Don't get me wrong, If Hillhouse had lessons in KC or nearby, we would go in a hearbeat. I even emailed him asking if he had any protégés in the area, but no luck. After doing this for many months, I am now confident that me working with her using Bill's DVD as my reference is better than our previous situation. We have had good luck with her drop and are developing here change-up, soon we tackle the rise.

I agree with what SoCalSoftballdad stated, "You HAVE to be her primary pitching coach if you want her to have any real success as a pitcher." I have been sitting on a bucket since she was 8, and she is 12 now, so I have picked up a few things along with way, and Bill's DVD, and other youtube videos have empowered me to fill confident enough to take this leap. I also have to give the website its due. I do not post regularly, but I am a regular viewer, and there is excellent information to take from many of these knowledgeable posters.

Good luck.

hey knightsb, I assume you've seen improvements since you've taken over as her PC. Are there any tangible results you can share? More consistency? control? Speed? location?

Apr 13, 2010
as she doesn't ever really want to listen to me anyway...

Mine doesn't either. I try to just reinforce what the pitching coach has taught by asking my daughter when I see something that doesn't look right if what she is doing is correct. Hopefully eventually she will self correct which is an important skill for her to have.

May 25, 2010
The beauty of discussions like these is that it reinforces just how different all our DDs are. Different relationships require different techniques in order to achieve the same general result - DD's success (however she measures it) inside the circle.

Jun 18, 2010
hey knightsb, I assume you've seen improvements since you've taken over as her PC. Are there any tangible results you can share? More consistency? control? Speed? location?

All of the above, however take that with a grain of salt as she has not yet been tested in a game. Our full team practices start the first week of March and I will be better able to judge the effectiveness when she throws batting practice.

Aug 21, 2008
Oh my goodness... thank you all so much for these compliments. I'm truly flattered.

I should probably say that, if anyone is interested in scheduling something and have me come to their area, it's really not that difficult. And, odds are, there's probably been a lot of people in your same area that have emailed me about the same thing. The hardest part is getting a gym or facility to use. Once that is established and a date (or multiple dates) are set, don't be surprised if people will fly in from various places to attend. Then, as I do in various places (Cincinnati, Dallas, etc.) I will make regular visits and do follow ups if the people want them. This way it's not a "one time" clinic, which sometimes leaves people just wanting more. Theres nothing worse than going to a clinic, learning something that is REALLY helpful, then going back to a teacher who doesn't do it that way.

Thanks again everyone. I'll do what I can to help.

Bill

Bill

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Bill's stuff is "the right tools"...

Your DD teaches herself how to pitch with Crazy Dad's help (Dear Lord, help all the Crazy Dads in this world), and the coach or DVD is a learning tool. Just like anything else she learns, without the right tools, she either won't learn it or won't learn it well.

If you and she have the right tools, she'll do well. If you don't, then she won't. Bill's tools are "the right tools".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee