Dilemma: Keep original pitching coach; look for new one?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I live in SE Florida and have seen a similar situation. There is a local PC who teaches what would be described as a "bowling" technique. She has a couple girls that throw nice, but they use IR. She does not teach that method at all. I laugh at all of the money being spent by the kids parents. Its a shame. If you teach 20 or 30 girls, you are bound to have a couple that excel on their own.

Feb 6, 2009
Finding the right pitching coach is a very difficult task. My DD is 15 today. Pitching since she was 8. We used one guy in our area for 3 years or so. He was where she started and he was a successful Canadian ball player. Taught an open style and a follow through across the body not up on the right side. That was good. This was before we learned the concept of internal rotation on this board. For a variety of reasons we left him and I was essentially her coach for 2 years. I took her to 2 different female pitching coaches during that period and left both because of some of the mechanics they were teaching. ie follow through at the right shoulder, walk through the pitch at the end, closed style, etc. This year we found another woman who pitched and now coaches. She too teaches the follow through to the right side shoulder. I basically told her going in that we would not do that and that my DD follows through naturally where ever it goes. We agree to disagree on follow through. She also has her do a drill at the start in which she has her flip her the ball using the fingers with the palm facing the catcher. Another waste of time but it's a few minutes. After that, we get to pitching and she has helped there. My DD was swimming alot and she was also not bringing her glove down correctly. I knew this but it was good to have a coach who could tell my DD the same things. Lastly, she has been able to teach the spins and footwork for different pitches (screwball in this case). So it's been valuable. Guess what I'm saying is it's not impossible to have a coach that you don't necessarily agree with on all points if you are gaining value from the coach. If you feel you're getting no value, it's time to leave.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
Interesting, because I teach internal rotation and open style and I have kids that leave me to go to push down wave the elbow, slam the hips closed instructors.:p

May 25, 2010
My 11 yo DD has had her pitching coach for about 2 years now with regular weekly lessons since the beginning.

How much break time have you allowed her in those two years? Maybe she doesn't need a pitching coach at all right now if she's doing well on her own.

Jan 25, 2011
Well, here is my two cents,My dd started out doing the open the hip and closing the hip and driving the hand and elbow towards her pitching hand shoulder this at the age of 8yo. Well being new to this whole pitching thing thought it was good. After a year into this style , I really started to look at the better pitchers and did'nt see them doing it that way. Thats when I read a post that Bill Hillhouse had on his site. He said look at the elite pitchers in the game, not just the real good pitchers but the elite pitchers. We did and we dumped that old style of pitching. Best thing we ever did for my dd's pitching. Now I'am not saying you should just dump your PC. But take a look for yourself at the elite pitchers and than you and your dd need to talk and than talk to her PC.

Oct 18, 2009
Finding the right pitching coach is a very difficult task. My DD is 15 today. Pitching since she was 8. We used one guy in our area for 3 years or so. He was where she started and he was a successful Canadian ball player. Taught an open style and a follow through across the body not up on the right side. That was good. This was before we learned the concept of internal rotation on this board. For a variety of reasons we left him and I was essentially her coach for 2 years. I took her to 2 different female pitching coaches during that period and left both because of some of the mechanics they were teaching. ie follow through at the right shoulder, walk through the pitch at the end, open style, etc. This year we found another woman who pitched and now coaches. She too teaches the follow through to the right side shoulder. I basically told her going in that we would not do that and that my DD follows through naturally where ever it goes. We agree to disagree on follow through. She also has her do a drill at the start in which she has her flip her the ball using the fingers with the palm facing the catcher. Another waste of time but it's a few minutes. After that, we get to pitching and she has helped there. My DD was swimming alot and she was also not bringing her glove down correctly. I knew this but it was good to have a coach who could tell my DD the same things. Lastly, she has been able to teach the spins and footwork for different pitches (screwball in this case). So it's been valuable. Guess what I'm saying is it's not impossible to have a coach that you don't necessarily agree with on all points if you are gaining value from the coach. If you feel you're getting no value, it's time to leave.

Thanks mrslug. I like your approach. Maybe its something we can see work out with her. As I understand it; its really the fastball finish that is really different. Maybe the other pitch finishes dont contradict as much... or do they?

Happy Bday to your DD!

Oct 18, 2009
How much break time have you allowed her in those two years? Maybe she doesn't need a pitching coach at all right now if she's doing well on her own.

She hasn't had much time off. Weekly lessons have been pretty regular for the past 2 years. While she has success she still needs to improve. She has a good changeup and fb. But her movement/spin pitches need to develop.

I also thought most girls continued regular instruction (unless dad or mom could be a pc) at least through HS.

Apr 13, 2010
Have you discussed what happens when your DD gets older with the pitching coach? Our pitching coach has told us what the plan is for next year, and the next 6 years. She has an excellent approach and she keeps tabs on all the kids, even the ones that leave and go somewhere else.

It's a tough call though. Especially if things are going well now and she won't discuss the future with you.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I predict that 90% of coaches teach exactly what your DD has been taught. They teach it at UofAZ., here, so it trickles down.

If your instructor is flexible, she should work with you on what you want.

I have students that are being told that they have to use the power L, by their travel ball coach. He makes them pitch an hour, per practice like that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom