Dilema .. what would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Looks like you have two choices. You can walk away without paying a dime and focus on your kids or you can stay with this team, spend the money, and we'll have the same conversation in a month the next time they screw you over.

Amen...read the writing on the wall. The coach is a disgrace. Say, "Good luck, but so long."

Dec 10, 2010
A, A
I would definatley call their bluff. There is now way in hell that I would give them another dime.

Use that money to put yoru kids on another team. Their feelings and self confidence is the only thing that matters here.

If they sue you, deal with the money then. Like others have said, there will be no court costs so you can either give them the money now or make them work to get it, but in the end, you will be paying the same amount and by then, your daughters will be on another team

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
This is about the fourth post you've made in as many months concerning the practices and drama of this team. I think each time the consensus was that you should walk away from this organization.

Looks like you have two choices. You can walk away without paying a dime and focus on your kids or you can stay with this team, spend the money, and we'll have the same conversation in a month the next time they screw you over.

-W

YOU ARE EXACTLY CORRECT.
We just wanted to make sure our expectations were not unrealistic and tgat we gave it every chance before we left.
You are correct correct correct.

Jul 28, 2008
I would not walk away from this organization, but would rather run like hell.

What does your contract say? What were you told before the season and before you signed? I would HIGHLY recommend that you consult with an attorney to go over your options.

For more information on smalls claims court see Small Claims Frequently Asked Questions .

Good luck

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The coach has been trying to drive you away. It's good that you see that now. In terms of a lawsuit, it is an empty threat.

A coach/organization that files a suit over a relatively small amount of money does more damage to itself in the long run. Would you sue a family to recover that amount of money when everyone and his brother/sister will know about the lawsuit and the heavy-handed way in which the organization went about it? Would anyone trust that organization the following year and sign a contract to play? One thing that I always remind people about business (and other aspects of life) is this - if someone likes the job you're doing, theyll tell one or two people; if they love the job you're doing, they might tell one or two more; but if you somehow managed to really upset someone, they will tell everyone within earshot. A lawsuit against a family essentially forced out of the organization will hurt the organization in the long-run.

Jul 9, 2010
I have seen lots of stupid things in travel ball, but I have never heard of an organization suing someone for dues. If you have a uniform, what you paid already covers that.

Also, I haven't heard of a "contract" to be signed. We have player codes of conduct, expectations, waivers, etc, but I can not believe a "contract" that says they will sue you if you leave the team is truly enforceable.

There are lots of people, and lots of lawyers, who will do stuff to try to intimidate you into getting some of your money.

There are a million reasons players leave teams. These folks need to grow up an move on.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Incidentally, I agree 100% with Amy. If they try to come after you, contact a reporter at the largest local newspaper in your area and get him/her interested in the story. That organization will not be too thrilled to see themselves in the newspaper going after a family they are trying to push away, and in particular where you've been scraping the money together despite being out of work. It would be very bad for their recuiting, and the public outcry is likely to be tremendous.

A guy I work with knew a guy who just got a helper dog due to blindness. His condo association fined him $350 because his dog allegedly was barking while he was at the hospital while his son was having an operation related to the same rare cancer that took his sight. My co-worker advised his wife to contact the local newspaper, a story ran, and long story short no more fines, plus people were falling over themselves to help the family.

You may find that a classier coach offers your daughters a spot as a result too. You never know.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
I agree with all.

My first DD had her uniform from last year ... paid $350 of $700.
My other DD needed uniform... paid $150 of $900 so uniform is paid for (did not pay for helmet /bat bag but we didn't get those yet.)

I've been keeping a log of incidents/conversations ... not much in writing.

At contract signing (all teams/players) Director said no player would be left out because of lack of money, Team coach said NO BIG tournaments, this needs to be affordable for all (maintained that until getting 2nd in October).

Seemed like the perfect fit for a financially challenged family.

At this point, too much water over the bridge.
Director thinks Fla trip going to boost the Org ... Berth win posted all over Org website .. team will fall apart after the season ...
player behavior is being questioned by other organizations ....
(numerous players behave badly and it is getting noticed)

Too bad .. there are two players we are having a very difficult time leaving behind.
I think that is why we have stayed as long as we have ...

Feb 6, 2009
I agree with posted earlier that you should get out of the organization and start over elsewhere. But I'm also having trouble believing this is all on the organization. You have posted numerous times. Nothing but issues for months. You say you are keeping a log of incidents/conversations. I coach a pretty good U14 team in the northeast. I would never expect to have as many conversations with a parent as it sounds like you have had with these coaches. Sounds like you're in CT. Lots of well known top flight organizations in CT. My advice. Find another and have your kids try out at the appropriate age groups and let them play.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478