Dilema .. what would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
!4 U going to Fla ... we can't go. Coach wants us off his USSSA roster and has stated that my DD's "will never see the field" because he is getting players ready for Fla and only players going to Fla will get field time.

Our choices are:
1. Pay ($1150) remainder of fees and stay on team..sit the bench all summer
2. Pay remainder of fees and leave team.
(we have to pay as this Organization plans to sue us for remainder of fees and attorney costs .. our tournaments start June 4, 2011)
If we pay the fees we will have no money to go to another team.

All of these are poor choices ...

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Under what circumstances are they going to hold you responsible for the remainder of the fees?

This is ridiculous. It is 14U softball, not a recording contract.

They could sue me if they want. I would pay them nothing.

Do you have more than one DD on the team?

Jan 20, 2010
I would get it in email that your daughter will not play at all that way if they do sue (extremely unlikely) then you can use that in court or throw that back at them when they threaten. If they told you your daughter will not play at all then I would not pay and find another team. I really doubt they will sue you and if they do I think you would have a strong case...there is no consideration on their part for the fees paid.

Edit: in fact if they did tell me they would sue I would tell them that's good because I was planning on sueing to get the fees I already paid back so this will make that easy.

Last edited:
May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
It was in the contract we signed ... They could come after us for fees unpaid if they chose to. ... and for all of their attorney fees as well. They could choose not to sue ... but they aren't going to give us a break.
Already sued a family last year ... no idea what outcome of suit was (I did not know this until after we signed up for this year.)

They will not put in writing ...
coach said this to me Sunday ... Director is not going to Interfere as he feels this will do wonders for the organization ... told to be at a meeting and their attorney will be there ..
yes .... two daughters .... 14U.

Sprung tourn on us after said no far away tournaments ... told us no far away ...then in early November they changed mind.

Jan 20, 2010
It was in the contract we signed ... They could come after us for fees unpaid if they chose to. ... and for all of their attorney fees as well. They could choose not to sue ... but they aren't going to give us a break.
Already sued a family last year ... no idea what outcome of suit was (I did not know this until after we signed up for this year.)

They will not put in writing ...
coach said this to me Sunday ... Director is not going to Interfere as he feels this will do wonders for the organization ... told to be at a meeting and their attorney will be there ..
yes .... two daughters .... 14U.

Sprung tourn on us after said no far away tournaments ... told us no far away ...then in early November they changed mind.

It would be small claims court for that amount so there would be no attorney fees...you really risk nothing by calling their bluff.

I would send them an email saying that they told you no more far away tournaments and then they changed their minds and see what the response is.

May 25, 2010
If I was in your shoes, I would not pay them anything. Just walk away.

Let them file suit. Make them go through the hassle of getting a process server. Attorney's fees for small claims court on an $1150 suit?? lol They'll never get that in any legitimate court, assuming they were even awarded the 1150.

I believe in contracts, but a contract is only enforceable if both parties receive consideration and you have every right to argue that your side hasn't.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would contact a local reporter and see what they think of the good old American way, (suing a family over softball.)

Are you getting monthly treasurers reports from this organization? And are there 2 people signing the checks? (This has nothing to do with your girls, unless you find out they are skimming from the kitty.)

Is this a not for profit? If so, I think you could have them audited.

Also, contact that other family. Are law suits not public information in your state?

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
WOW! We were feeling kind of defeated ...
I was guessing it was small claims ... no idea how to look up court proceedings/results.

Although told no long distance tourn ... we were OK with team going and bring going another pitcher. Not thrilled ... but ...
then told that we were also being left out of two other tournaments.
We just wanted to play the other 7 with the team my daughters have been with ... didn't think that was too much to ask.

Their solution was to stick us on the other 14U team (they already have 12, set for pitchers, and don't really want us). Of course playtime is at discretion of coach.
Has been in the works for over a month and not one of them came to talk to us ...

USSSA director was fine with us playing our 7 including the two the coach wants us out of ...but coach said he didn't want them there.

Paid $150 of $900 for one, $350 of $750 for pitcher daughter.
Have not done a single tournament yet and if we left the team would not be in trouble, they would still have pitchers and enough players (13) ..

Why can't we all just agree to disagree and part ways ...

If we had the money I could probably care less ... but out of work for two years ...5 kids ... they knew all this (we brought this coach here, we helped get them a second
16U team.

Both my daughters are sooo hurt, confused..never miss practice, work hard ..
one DD is #1 pitcher..other worked herself into being a valuable infielder....

Sunday conversation with coach
I say "how would you feel, what would you do if it was your daughter?"
he says "if someone treated my daughter like that I'd already be gone, can't believe you stayed this long"
... umm ... then why are you treating my kids this way.

GRRR ...

This is our 3rd year of Travel ... really leaning towards not doing this anymore.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
conflict of interest?

Is this a conflict of interest:Their attorney is on the board of directors (works for law Firm so maybe Law Firm newbies take this stuff) ????

This is a non-profit org ....

Jul 26, 2010
This is about the fourth post you've made in as many months concerning the practices and drama of this team. I think each time the consensus was that you should walk away from this organization.

Looks like you have two choices. You can walk away without paying a dime and focus on your kids or you can stay with this team, spend the money, and we'll have the same conversation in a month the next time they screw you over.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802