DIII player of the decade

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
Many moons ago when I played there they helped a bit with my financial aid package but I still ended up with 17K worth of loans after I left (it was "only" 30K a year when I went there)
That’s crazy money. I say that but we have private HS’s in our area that cost 45-50K.
My understanding is if a school really wants you they will make it happen. A school like Harvard with a 37 billion endowment is a good example of this.
Still surprised a star pitcher like Fournier couldn’t manage a full ride. Three National titles please. They should have been paying her for her services!
We have a local girl left handed pitcher that committed to Tufts recently. She was # 2 pitcher on HS State runner-up squad NFA.
I believe she will be #1 this season with graduation of former #1.
Not sure about her role on TB team.

Jun 8, 2016
That’s crazy money. I say that but we have private HS’s in our area that cost 45-50K.
After I tore my ACL and any scholarship offers were out the window, my parents were of the mind that I should
go the best school I could go to, regardless of cost. Going there I am sure helped me get into Duke for graduate school (where I
was on scholarship the whole time) and I just paid off the loans after graduate school. It was worth the cost imo.

Apr 28, 2019
After I tore my ACL and any scholarship offers were out the window, my parents were of the mind that I should
go the best school I could go to, regardless of cost. Going there I am sure helped me get into Duke for graduate school (where I
was on scholarship the whole time) and I just paid off the loans after graduate school. It was worth the cost imo.
Sounds like it worked out for you. Just seems like a terrible way to start life in the “real world” with a mountain of debt.
I try and stress to my girls to do well in class and on the field/court to get money for college. Just too much to ask to work and go to school at the same time.
I don’t want them slacking because they believe I’m paying for everything.

Jun 8, 2016
Sounds like it worked out for you. Just seems like a terrible way to start life in the “real world” with a mountain of debt.
My wife, who went to Tufts as well and ran track there, came out with about 20K in loans. We both paid them off in about 5 years. Of course we didn't have kids till we were in our mid 30's (we dated for 10 years before we got married...) so that helped a bit as did sharing a car for those 5 years, etc.

Dec 11, 2010
Coming out of a academically prestigious school with less debt than most twenty somethings have in a car loan is a bargain.

Then living within your means until it’s paid off? Jeez, that’s crazy talk.

Hats off to people that don’t expect something good for free. Hats off to people that work hard to get what they want and pay their debts.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Coming out of a academically prestigious school with less debt than most twenty somethings have in a car loan is a bargain.

Then living within your means until it’s paid off? Jeez, that’s crazy talk.

Hats off to people that don’t expect something good for free. Hats off to people that work hard to get what they want and pay their debts.
Playing sports in college (albeit brief for me..my wife was much more accomplished, team captain her Senior year) helped with the sacrifice thing after college. You learn that if you want to do well in school and play sports that sometimes those parties on Fr/Sat nights have to be skipped...of course for me I generally hate people so it wasn't hard for me to skip :LOL:

Nov 18, 2013
My understanding is if a school really wants you they will make it happen. A school like Harvard with a 37 billion endowment is a good example of this.
Still surprised a star pitcher like Fournier couldn’t manage a full ride. Three National titles please. They should have been paying her for her services!
We have a local girl left handed pitcher that committed to Tufts recently. She was # 2 pitcher on HS State runner-up squad NFA.
I believe she will be #1 this season with graduation of former #1.
Not sure about her role on TB team.

D3’s can’t give aid to athletes under terms the general population isn’t eligible for. If they come up with special academic aid only eligible to athletes they’re athletic scholarships and the NCAA penalties would be severe. Parents spread rumors like this and they take on a life of their own.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I was told this by one of the coaches in the NESCAC when my DD was being courting. The NESCAC is considering the "Little Ivies" and their financial aid is done by "blind need based" At least that was the case for the school that was talking to my DD. Just like in the Ivy League, ALL the kids are crazy smart.

Jun 8, 2016
Just like in the Ivy League, ALL the kids are crazy smart.
Yes, and the schools have gotten much more competitive (at least Tufts) since I went there. I probably wouldn't have gotten into Tufts today had I applied with the same academic attributes I had back then. Of course knowing that, I may have studied for my SAT :LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802